Help with External HD x Latency issues

ThoLe

Hello guys!

My doubt today its about External HD usage for music production...

I just bought a Lacie thunderbolt connection with 2TB storage... and I just want to know if I will have latency issues depending on how I'm thinking to use it...

Will I have latency issues by using this external HD to storage my projects while Im tracking or mixing (this was my first option, use this disc as my Logic Pro HD...)?

It would be better to use it just for backup and samplers/vst storage?

(if I use it to install vsts, what kind of issues I could have)?

Could I use this disc for all this (Logic Pro storage + backups + vsts/samplers) without any problems?

Appreciate your help!!

Hi,

First of all, Logic doesn't use VST, that's a Steinberg format for Cubase and company.

Logic uses AU (Audio Units)

Is the Lacie an SSD drive? If yes, you can store your projects for sure in there.

For samples it depends on the plugin and how much space you need.

NI recommends a dedicated external HD for the Kontakt stuff.

I would not waste a Thunderbolt drive on backups.

Get a cheap USB 3 drive for that.

Hi,

First of all, Logic doesn't use VST, that's a Steinberg format for Cubase and company.

Logic uses AU (Audio Units)

Yeah! you're right... ahaha...

well, this drive its not SSD... so it would be better to use it for samplers and AU's? What about latency in this case?

I bought this drive to free space on the main mac drive... where Logic and projects is located...

I have another USB external HD to use as a backup.

Thunderbolt and spinning drive? The bottleneck is on the drive.

The best combo is always Thunderbolt and SSD to take full advantage of speed.

Depending on what you have as a system drive and how much space you have left on it, I would put the samples on it.

Use the Thunderbolt drive for your projects.

Hello triplets!

I have a Macbook Pro, i5, 2.8Ghz, 8GB ram, .... with a 500GB SSD drive (where Logic Pro X 10.4.0 is installed, with all extra content and projects)...

I have another 500GB USB external drive (that is not SSD), which im using as backup...

Now I bought this Lacie Thunderbolt connection 2TB to use as main Logic Pro drive, or to install my AU's or Samplers... Plugins on general...

I'm using a Apollo Twin DUO MKII thunderbolt connection... but Im still having dropouts gaps sometimes..., so which drive configuration would be better to minimize some latency problems? (or it just gonna get worst?)