Make region snap to previous region

hubbenorlen

Hi all!

I'm looking for a command that does the following:

When I cut a region and want to move to the previous region, I always move it manually. And I'm so tired of doing it this way.

Is there a way to make it automatically move it so that it sticks to the previous region, and vice versa.

Like the commands "Trim region end to next region" and "trim region start to previous region", without the resizing of the audio file?

I want the file to stay cut the way and for Logic to just move it.

I don't know of a single command/setting that solves this, maybe there is, but maybe this can help you generally: I am using key commands to navigate regions/selections/arrange a lot and once they are learned you can do a lot of edits like that very quickly and precicely without any mouse dragging. For example:

-Go to selection start (Shift-G)

-Go to selection end (Cmd-Shift-G)

-Set region start (Shift-S)

-Set region end (Shift-E)

-Pick up clock (Shift-C)

With these you can very quickly manipulate regions relative to other regions or selections. So for me, to perform the edit above, I would hit Shift-G on the first region, click the second region, hit Shift-C. Boom. No dragging/positioning needed, it instantly is glued to the end of the first region. I know this isn't a one-trick solution for your issue but once you start using these kind of commands you can suddenly offload a lot of mousing and find your own solution to predicaments like these.

(Note: These are my custom key commands, the defaults might be different)

You could work in "Shuffle L" drag mode, which would automatically make any region you cut snap directly to the right of the previous region. In that mode you can even just delete something, such as a marquee selection, and Logic automatically moves all the regions to the right of the section you deleted toward the left to fill the gap.
  • Like 1

I don't know of a single command/setting that solves this, maybe there is, but maybe this can help you generally: I am using key commands to navigate regions/selections/arrange a lot and once they are learned you can do a lot of edits like that very quickly and precicely without any mouse dragging. For example:

-Pick up clock (Shift-C)

With these you can very quickly manipulate regions relative to other regions or selections. So for me, to perform the edit above, I would hit Shift-G on the first region, click the second region, hit Shift-C. Boom. No dragging/positioning needed, it instantly is glued to the end of the first region. I know this isn't a one-trick solution for your issue but once you start using these kind of commands you can suddenly offload a lot of mousing and find your own solution to predicaments like these.

(Note: These are my custom key commands, the defaults might be different)

Maybe I'm stupid, but what you're describing is not happening for me with those commands at all.

You could work in "Shuffle L" drag mode, which would automatically make any region you cut snap directly to the right of the previous region. In that mode you can even just delete something, such as a marquee selection, and Logic automatically moves all the regions to the right of the section you deleted toward the left to fill the gap.

What's "Shuffle L"?

-Pick up clock (Shift-C)

Maybe I'm stupid, but what you're describing is not happening for me with those commands at all.

The Shuffle mode (I forgot about it, never use it) is absolutely much easier than key commands, but the key commands are nice to know and helpful in many similar situations. If they aren't working for you its probably my fault, because I was not specific enough in their names, here are the exact wording in Key Command windows and my registered keys:

- Go to Selection Start (Shift + G)

- Go to Selection End (Cmd + Shift + G)

- Set Region/Event/Marquee Start To Playhead Position (Shift + S)

- Set Region/Event/Marquee Start To Playhead Position (Shift + E)

- Move Region/Event to Playhead Position (Pickup Clock) (Shift + C)

So basically what I'm doing is only using the mouse to select regions, then navigating the playhead with keycommands related to those regions, and then editing region properties with playhead key commands. I know it sounds a lot more cumbersome than Shuffle or simply dragging, but once you realize the amount of things you can do with these commands, you can work a lot faster and do hyper detailed edits at a full arrangement view (no need to zoom in). (Of course this also only works if your music and / or arrangement region style is mostly tempo / grid organized). Anyway, Shuffle drag solves your problem instantly :) Hope this helps!