What happens to audio when the tempo is changed?

edurbrow

Regarding imported audio, will tempo information that may be embedded in wav files change if the tempo map is different than the original recording? How do you tell if a file has tempo information. As I understand it, Broadcast wav files can have tempo and other information. Isn't the suffix still .wav?

If the tempo map is different from the original files will the audio be different from the original recording?

I just imported a couple of SDII files and they play waaaaay slowly.

When you have audio in Logic that was recorded in Logic and you change the tempo in the Global track, does the audio change? Ifso, how is this different from Varispeed?

I could go on with more questions, but I need to get the basics out of the way first.

Thank you in advance.

Regarding imported audio, will tempo information that may be embedded in wav files change if the tempo map is different than the original recording?

No, not unless you somehow write new tempo information.

How do you tell if a file has tempo information. As I understand it, Broadcast wav files can have tempo and other information. Isn't the suffix still .wav?

Any file can have tempo information. It's indicated by a clock symbol next to the file name in the Project Audio Browser.

If the tempo map is different from the original files will the audio be different from the original recording?

Not sure what you mean. What tempo map? What original files?

I just imported a couple of SDII files and they play waaaaay slowly.

It could be any number of things... Are the sample rates matched? Is the pitch right?

When you have audio in Logic that was recorded in Logic and you change the tempo in the Global track, does the audio change?

No, not unless you have Flex and Follow turned on for that region.

Ifso, how is this different from Varispeed?

Varispeed affects the playback speed of the entire project.

Thanks for the quick reply David. I'll try to digest all that and be clear with my next set of questions.

I'm trying to import an old project from Digital Performer and it is quite a mess. The midi tracks are quite messed up in Digital Performer. I guess the original file got lost somewhere along the way. It starts out ok but half way through the midi parts are very fast. I can get them close to where they should go in DP by using the stretch command. Importing a SMF changes things somehow. it goes very fast in Logic from half way. In DP it goes more or less correctly. Hard to explain. It is a real mess. I just want to make sure the audio stays the same and then I can try to build a tempo map and try to get the midi to conform to it.