Converting a synth arpeggio to actual notes in the piano roll and score

abookstorecowboy
Go to solution Solved by stratquebec,

If you use an arpeggiating synth in Alchemy (for example), is there any way to take the resulting sounds and convert them to a MIDI file that shows what is actually played? For example, in the Alchemy instrument "Boys and Bells," you get an arpeggiated bell sound that plays different notes from what you see in the piano roll and score. Is there any way to render this as a score of what is actually played so you can then edit it?

Although it can't be done with midi effects that are built in to the synth such as your example of the Alchemy arpeggiator. It can be done if you use the Logic midi FX arpeggiator, or any Logic midi FX.

There is a free plugin called Midi Freeze which, if inserted in to the last midi FX slot will capture the output from the preceding effects. This can then be placed as a region on any instrument track.

HTH,

Alan

• Solution
Might it be possible to convert the MIDI file to audio, then convert the audio to MIDI?

Yes, I do it all the time

Record your alchemy track

Bounce in place

double click the resulting audio region, it opens in the editor

turn on flex

choose flex pitch

Edit>Create Midi Track from flex pitch data

There you have it!

Off line for a few days with personal stuff, sorry.

Well, I made a mistake -- the plugin is actually an Omnisphere plugin that I had saved and misfiled as an Alchemy patch. So everything I was doing was with an Omnisphere patch. Still, it should work the same, right? The Events list for the bounced file looks like the pic below.

1725932854_BoysandBellseventlist.thumb.png.2081245dc628e93a0004227830cb43b3.png

For the sake of a clean midi file.. If you can use the same arpeggiator pattern, substitute the sound for a short clean one. The midi file will have fewer mistakes.. Sounds with long tails, will usually yield messy midi results. you can also solo the track, and slow the tempo down, sometimes will generate a cleaner midi.

Sometimes I use the melodyne audio to midi command, seems to do a slightly better job. for me, a lot depends on the audio track you are trying to convert. Also take the resulting midi, assign electric piano, and play along with your original audio track, you can correct the notes, that get mis-interpreted.

I really wish Apple had implemented Audio Units MIDI out.. It is a great learning tool to see the actual notes being generated. You can also double the patch with another instrument or write some harmony to it for more sophisticated results.