New Trash Can Mac Pro help please

Good morning,

I would like some advice on this please, and I am aware that theres a new Mac Pro due later this year!

I am interested in this Mac Pro, it says it comes with a free upgrade to Yosemite, would I be able to install Sierra (not High Sierra) on to this machine?

Any pointers appreciated.

https://www.jigsaw24.com/products/mac-pro-6-core-xeon-e5-m106axb#

This Mac Pro was released in December of 2013. It will run Sierra. In fact, the cheese graters as early as mid-2010 will run Sierra. (I've got an early 2008 Mac Pro, and with bridge software, even I can run Sierra / Logic without issue (thanks to some wonderful programmer named "dosdude")).

The phrase "completely customizable" is a bit too generous, as anything with ports is "customizable" if you're adding (read: purchasing) external gear. I've got several TB's of sample libraries, and the lack of disk space sobered my opinion on this design. Indeed, Apple touted the new Mac Pro's smaller footprint -- which is like saying if I design a car without a trunk and back seats, I can dramatically reduce its size.

I'm old school: I've got four compendious drives in one computer. Why is that a bad design? Slow, of course, but that's an age issue, not design.

I hope you can hold out for the newer Mac Pro, but I too am frustrated with the wait. Here we are at the end of the first quarter of 2018, and there has been no further information.

Now, of far more importance, congratulations on your certification! :-)

Thank you Plowman!

The new Mac Pro will come with High Sierra, so that rules that machine out!

I know the present MacPro is dated amongst other things, I am running everything from a 2015 MacBook Pro, 2.8 Quad Core 16gb RAM, seems to be handling everything sleeplessly, maybe I should just stick with that!

Apple have had little interest in the Pro market for sometime! iPhones etc are more important? Not being able to upgrade components when paying so

much money hum. The new Mac Pro if and when it hits our world omg 3 to 4 Grand I bet and how modeler will it be? A lot of pros are paying 1600 to 2000 for a Mac Pro Tower that’s 2009 2010 with amazing processing 12 cores 3.46 CPUs because there were modular? How you are able on a MBP to not be freezing trks and BIP software Inst all the time let alone using Plugins! It must be so frustrating.

Apple have had little interest in the Pro market for sometime! iPhones etc are more important? Not being able to upgrade components when paying so

much money hum. The new Mac Pro if and when it hits our world omg 3 to 4 Grand I bet and how modeler will it be? A lot of pros are paying 1600 to 2000 for a Mac Pro Tower that’s 2009 2010 with amazing processing 12 cores 3.46 CPUs because there were modular? How you are able on a MBP to not be freezing trks and BIP software Inst all the time let alone using Plugins! It must be so frustrating.

Its possible to upgrade the RAM in the Trash Can, thats all I need.

The 2010 Trash can doesn't have Thunderbolt, which is what most of my hardware is.

I never have to freeze tracks on the MB Pro! runs like a dream, I run everything from an external G Tech drive for all the files and another for back ups, everything is very stable.

Plenty of plugs too, never been a problem!

Be aware of Apple's slightly sleazy repair practices. I tried to repair my 2008 Mac Pro at the end of 2015. I was told, they no longer carry parts, or repair 2008 machines.. I would not be in a hurry to buy a trusty old Apple, because of this policy. My 2008 could hav gotten more work.. Because they wouldn't repair it.. I turned it on one day to smell burning plastic.. While the 2013 is sort of cute.. All those connectors jammed into a tiny space is a joke.. trying to get one cord out, usually pulls 2 or 3.. Then you need adapters. Then you have all this equipment sitting around the computer with a rat's nest of wires.. No, not a brilliant design.

They are more interested in selling Iwatches, iPads, iPhones, and iMacs at this point. I've used Logic since Emagic days, and it is a great program..

OWC has memory and processors for the Trash can.. I bought a minimal trash can, and beefed it up via OWC.. Very knowledgeable and helpful company. In spite of my complaining, I still love Macs.

The 2010 Trash can doesn't have Thunderbolt, which is what most of my hardware is.

Don't confuse the terminology of the mac models, otherwise it gets confusing what you're referring to.

The trash can MacPro is the only "new" one Apple offers and it's from 2013. The brand new Mac Pro that Apple promises won't happen till 2019, so don't get your hopes up for the end of 2018.

These "trash cans" have native Thunderbolt and USB 3. And ram and HD are expensive to upgrade.

The cheese grater mac pro is the chassis from 2006 to 2012 and it does not have Thunderbolt, but you can add a PCIe USB 3 card on a 2009, 2010 and 2012 model.

Thanks for your info. As time goes on USB 3.0 Audio interfaces will disappear? Well new! I purchased an Apogee Element 46 Thunderbolt with good intentions of going more compact, with few of buying a new MacBook Pro? Alas you can't upgrade past 2015? Plus its difficult to give up the cores/power I have in my Mac Pro 2009 tower. 2 yrs wait for any update on the Modular Mac Pro plus I well may need a Mortgage?

Is there really any need for Thunderbolt 3 if we are doing only audio?. I can get a lot of tracks running on Thunderbolt 2 in a 4 bay RAID system.. That never bogs down, it is the processor, that can't handle when I get a ridiculous amount of audio tracks going.. (which I sometimes take perverse pleasure in ).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx Triplets. That's what I was thinking. When I bought my mac pro in 2015, I explained my high track count, sometimes 100+ tracks.

Apple experts told me, I needed anything from a Mac mini to a 12 core machine.. No one could give me any realistic expectations. No one at Apple, even attempted to gain an understanding of the boundaries of Logic Pro, computer, and 3rd party virtual instruments.

I ended up with a 6 core and 64Gig of memory. That get's me about 30+ tracks of 3rd party virtual instruments. Much more than that, and Logic chokes.. I've even called Apple, and many tech support, didn't seem to understand I had a 'mac pro', not a mac pro laptop.. The physical stores, may only have one salesman, who knows anything about Logic Pro, and I've met a couple who didn't really know what Logic Pro and that Apple sold it. I've been in Apple stores, where the mac pro, is sitting in a corner, and not set up to demonstrate.

So unfortunately Logic Pro, and high end Mac pro machines, are not high on their priority list.. Unfortunate, because Logic Pro is a great program, (been using it since Emagic days).. For it's power and price, it is probably the best deal one could buy..

I ended up with a 6 core and 64Gig of memory. That get's me about 30+ tracks of 3rd party virtual instruments.

That's a great machine, if you need thunderbolt and powerful graphic cards, hence my comment about bandwidth and video.

That machine was never meant for Logic per se, and it's great on Final Cut.

But it also depends on what kind of software instruments you use. Lots of Kontakt stuff can bring any computer down.

A lot of composers are using another computer as a slave and VEP Pro to handle their huge software instrument templates. All that orchestral stuff.

You could sell your trash can and get a 27 inch iMac with the 4.2 ghz i7 and maybe the track count could increase.

If you compare them on www.everymac.com the iMac only beats your mac pro in the single core benchmark, not in multi-core.

But single core performance is better in the Logic plugin department, especially 3rd party.

But again, it doesn't matter what computer you buy, it will never be enough. That's the nature of the digital world.