Recording Vinyl: USB or Line-Ine Input

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I'm trying to convert a bunch of all old vinyl into mp3 using Logic Pro 9 and Audio-Technica AT-LP60. I'm having a problem with the USB input clipping some of the records. I was told by customer service to instead use the RCA to mini-plug adapter that it comes with and then turn down the Input Volume in System Preferences/Sound. This solves the clipping problem but I was wondering if the clipping is still accruing with the A/D converters in the USB turntable.

I was also wondering if the USB and mini-plug are the same quality.

Thanks

• Solution
I'm trying to convert a bunch of all old vinyl into mp3 using Logic Pro 9 and Audio-Technica AT-LP60. I'm having a problem with the USB input clipping some of the records. I was told by customer service to instead use the RCA to mini-plug adapter that it comes with and then turn down the Input Volume in System Preferences/Sound. This solves the clipping problem but I was wondering if the clipping is still accruing with the A/D converters in the USB turntable.

You're converting from A to D only once. Either you use the converters in the turntable and its USB output, or you're using the RCA output and the converters in your Mac. So if in your case you're using the RCA out then no, there can be no clipping in the A/D in the turntable since you're not using them.

I would first try to use the USB out of the turntable, which shortens the analog signal path and connections... but if that doesn't give you the results you want then there's nothing wrong with using the RCA outputs as long as you're happy with the sound you get.