High Sierra Safe Yet?

mpmusicny

Hi all -

When High Sierra first appeared, there was a long thread which has now scrolled way down due to inactivity - the main thrust ( I especially remember comments from Eric Cardenas) was that due to a new file system and other factors, it was probably not the best idea for Logic users to upgrade just yet. Well, we're now at OS 10.13.4, and Logic has seen a couple of substantial updates since then. I just wanted to check in and see if the the waters are now safe for most users . . thanks for any feedback.

as someone who's been running HS since the first betas... i've always gotten my work done. there were definitely some buggy moments in the betas, but here, 10.13.4 is working great with logic. that is, of course, no guarantee for anyone. honestly, if your plugins are up-to-date, & your drive is healthy, you may be fine...but you won't know until you try it.

clone your drive (ie with carbon copy cloner), then update. if everything isn't great, immediatley restore your drive.

and yes, zebra 2 (now my oldest plugin) still rocks (even tho i have to hand-crank it to get it up & running)....

Thanks FK. I clone everyday, but would still like to avoid the time and, frankly, anxiety caused by upgrading to an OS that creates problems and then having to clone back. Looking to get some more feedback from the HS users here. And Eric, on whether the new file system is still an issue . .

again, there's no one answer. one person updates, and all is well. another updates, has issues... too many variables: the processor, the condition of your HD, the other apps you run, third-party plugins.

if you clone your drive, restoring everything is easy. update your OS, go straight to logic, see how things go... before you open email, write a document, etc. if logic seems good... move forward. if not, restore... it doesn't take long (i did this once with CCC, when i demo'd protools on my macbook; restored same day, all was well).

still, no harm in getting opinions...

Do you need to update your OS?

Ifnot, don't.

What's the point to fix something that is working?

Best is often good's foe...

nothing wrong with staying up-to-date, having new features, under-the-hood improvements. if we all stayed in one place, we'd all still be on 10.3, and using logic 7 (or whatever there was then). am not advocating updating without some thought, or research (as i do, lol). but, one day you want the latest LXP, and your OS won't support it.

check your 3rd-party plugins, clone your mac... then go for it, if that's what you want to do.

Do you need to update your OS?

Ifnot, don't.

What's the point to fix something that is working?

Best is often good's foe...

nothing wrong with staying up-to-date, having new features, under-the-hood improvements. if we all stayed in one place, we'd all still be on 10.3, and using logic 7 (or whatever there was then). am not advocating updating without some thought, or research (as i do, lol). but, one day you want the latest LXP, and your OS won't support it.

Hence my first question...

Hence my first question...

need? do we need newer iphones? macs? tvs? i don't think 'need' has much to do with it; what do we want? i mean, i need to eat food, but i want it to taste good... :mrgreen:

What's the point of HS in our case, Logic users? I ask the question seriously. I mean, in my case I know that it will cost me a new Midi interface as my Roland one is not supported(might work but officially not supported), some of my older plugins might see the problem of the libraries getting their names all messed up due to APFS, etc. Are the gains worth it? What are those gains? Does Logic play 25% more VIs in HS vs Sierra on the same computer? The day The latest Logic needs HS I might try it but I just didn't see any core technologies that makes your computer a better machine, in the context of a DAW...

Blink

I updated to HS several months ago and have experienced little to no problems. Plus, I run all sorts of plugins and background apps.

The only bug I've experienced so far is a pesky Piano Roll thing where zooming horizontally and then scrolling left or right will cause the scroll to jump for a second. Not sure if that is a HS specific thing?

It always struck me as strange that there would be any Logic-specific bugs in HS. I figure Apple would keep the latest version of their own software totally compatible with their latest OS.

Well, thanks for the philosophical discussion guys, but I was hoping a few more people would chime in as to simply whether or not High Sierra is actually working for them. 150 views - is anyone using High Sierra successfully? thanks!

Yes, Logic Pro 10.4.1 with High Sierra 10.13.4 is working fine for me so far.