How did this just happen?

I.M. Groot

Something spooky just happened, and I'm hoping someone can explain it...

I've been working on a song, and what I've been doing is composing some of the parts in a separate notation program (Notion), then exporting them out of Notion as .WAV files and importing them into Logic.

So I went into Notion, tweaked the bassline a little bit, exported it as a .WAV file, but then before I'd imported it into Logic, Logic was already playing the new bassline!

How is that possible? I haven't drag-and-dropped the new part into Logic yet, so how can it be playing already?

Did Logic somehow "learn" from my pattern of exporting files from Notion, and "anticipate" what I wanted to do before I did it? Did it "see" me put the .WAV file in song folder, and just automatically import it into Logic?

I hadn't even deleted the old bass track yet, let alone imported the new one.

You probably saved the file using the same name and it replaced the old one.

You can use different methods of import in Logic. It sounds like you are using the original file location instead of copying it to your project folder.

But how did it start playing the file before I'd imported it into Logic?

It literally started playing the new bassline as it was playing the old bass track--it didn't even wait for me to stop playback of the old track, let alone import the new one.

if, as eric pointed out, it has the same name... logic is looking in the same project file, seeing that one, and playing it. nothing mysterious...

So Logic just plays files on its own, without waiting for them to be imported into the project?

Okay then, I guess that's the answer. Mystery solved!

if, as eric pointed out, it has the same name... logic is looking in the same project file, seeing that one, and playing it. nothing mysterious...

So Logic just plays files on its own, without waiting for them to be imported into the project?

if they're in the same project folder, with the same name... logic will see the file there, as it did before you replaced it, and play what it sees....

It's pretty simple: let's say you create a file called bassline.wav using Logic. That file is going to be inside the Audio Files folder. If you open that file with another program and make changes to it, as soon as you update it, when you go back to Logic, Logic will play that file bassline.wav, this time with the changes you made. For Logic it doesn't matter if it's a new or old riff. It just tries to find a file called bassline.wav and plays whatever the file contains. If you opened that file and deleted everything (so, silence) and saved it, Logic would play a silence file. Hope it makes sense :)

It's pretty simple: let's say you create a file called bassline.wav using Logic. That file is going to be inside the Audio Files folder. If you open that file with another program and make changes to it, as soon as you update it, when you go back to Logic, Logic will play that file bassline.wav, this time with the changes you made. For Logic it doesn't matter if it's a new or old riff. It just tries to find a file called bassline.wav and plays whatever the file contains. If you opened that file and deleted everything (so, silence) and saved it, Logic would play a silence file. Hope it makes sense :)

Indeed, this seems to be the case. I didn't know this, so it took me by surprise. (So glad my machine isn't haunted!)

Incidentally: I didn't create the file in Logic (I created it in Notion), and I didn't save it to the Audio Files folder, I saved it to a different folder, outside of Logic. But apparently what you're saying still holds true.

Edited by I.M. Groot

Your project is apparently referencing that file even though it isn't in the Project Audio file,(as Eric said above) which might be useful in this case, but I'd use the Consolidate function to keep files together with your project file if I were you.

I am not familiar with the Consolidate function...how does it work?

actually, i'm saving as a package.... i find it easy to move them around, copy them; i like that everything needed is in the one file. and again, if i need to, for example, use an audio file in another project (rare, but it's happened), i open the package, and option-drag that file to another location, to copy it. mostly, i just like the simplicity of a single file per project...

I was saving as package too Fisherking until I discovered that spotlight can't find files located in packages. At least I haven't found a way for spotlight to scan the packages. So I'm back saving as Folder and now I can easily find any files.

you have to be extremely careful accessing package files (you don't want to remove anything; it's okay to copy files tho). you can use the free 'easyfind' app (on the app store, or google it) to search your mac more thoroughly than spotlight (you can include 'package contents')...

Thanks for the info Fisherking! Gonna add easyfind to my tools right away.

Done! Wow easyfind is great! 8-)

be careful with anything you might move or delete, and again, never remove anything from a LXP package. but you can of course copy from the package files.

i don't use it often, but easyfind is an essential app.