How do I do the following?

jerrydpi

Hi guys :)

I want to burn 8 Projects to a CD ROM, and as each Project has different volumes, I enquired on the Mastering Forum of gearslutz how to make each Project the same volume.

Please note that I do not want to Master the CD ROM, as that's a whole different world :)

So at this point, all I want is equal volume from one Song to another on the Burned CD ROM.

Here is my original Thread:

I need to start compiling 8 of my original songs to be burned to a CD ROM (that is the easy part (burning to a CD ROM).

I have Ozone 8 Advanced, as well as the FabFilter Total Plugin Bundle (my favorite between the two).

I know to Bounce my Song to a 2 track WAV File or M4A, and to Master that instead of Mastering the multi track LPX Project's Main Output Channel.

What I can't figure out is how to have all the Songs at the same loudness level.

I'm sure it will ultimately tie into the FabFilter Pro-L, but that's all I'm sure of

Any help would truly be appreciated!

Here is what I was told to do:

Hi Jerry,

So if I'm understanding correctly, you're not creating an album that has a flow and tells a story but simply compiling songs for your guitarist and don't want the levels to be noticeably different.

In that case, it might be sufficient to normalise the songs by integrated LUFS. A simple way to do this is to get the free HOFA meter plugin. It has a feature where you can simply drag an audio file onto the plugin and it will calculate the integrated loudness (the average loudness of the whole song).

It's then a simple matter of offsetting each of the songs. For example, if Track1 is -13.7 LUFS, Track2 is -14.5 LUFS and Track3 is -14.3 LUFS then you reduce Track1 by 0.8dB and Track3 by 0.2dB then they will all be around -14.5 LUFS integrated. You want to use the song with the LOWEST level as the reference to avoid any overs or needing limiting.

You will want to output 16bit 44.1kHz wave files for CD and ideally dither on output.

This is the simplest/cheapest way to get things in the same ballpark. You may have to adjust a little more by ear if something jumps out because of tonality, etc.

My reply to this was as follows:

I now have the HOFA plugin installed, but that's the easy part :)

Now that I have it, what is the path that allows me to simply drag an audio file onto the plugin and it will calculate the integrated loudness (the average loudness of the whole song)?

Do I:

1) First bounce my LPX Project (Song) as a 16bit 44.1kHz wave files for CD and when doing so, select POW-r #1 Dithering (the one that has been recommended by other LPX users)?

2) Once the Song is on my Desktop, do I close the LPX Project?

If so, what I don't understand is how to drag the Desktop WAV File onto the plugin.

I'm willing to take a wild guess here, so please forgive me for guessing :)

1) You want me to create a new LPX Project that will have 8 audio tracks, and you want me to drag each WAV File to a separate track.

2) Once I do that, I should open the HOFA plugin on each track and choose the song with the lowest LUFS level as the reference to avoid any overs or needing limiting.

3) I then go to the other 7 tracks and lower their level to match the level of the track that had the lowest LUFS.

4) I then bounce each newly adjusted level track one at a time to my Desktop.

If so, can I Bounce them as a MFA:ACC, or would you recommend Bouncing them in another format?

Regardless of what format you advise me to Bounce by, I will then drag each Song into a new iTunes Playlist, and then burn a 8 Song CD.

What do ya' say about my above wild guess process?

The reply was:

I'm not familiar with Ozone but I'm sure it measures LUFS, as does Pro-L 2 (not 1) but you would have to play each song through to get the integrated LUFS. Hence the value of the HOFA drag and drop thing.

In my DAW (Reaper) I can drag a stereo file right from the timeline or the file explorer onto an instance of the HOFA plugin. You only need one instance of the plugin to do this.

Your guess is pretty accurate. You will need stereo mixdowns rather than multichannel projects. I would make these intermediary files 24bit or even 32bit floating point waves and bringing then into a separate project to adjust gains is a good way to go.

I would stay away from lossy formats and bounce the level adjusted files in CD format: dithered 16bit, 44.1kHz wave files.

I replied:

How do you drag a stereo file onto the plugin?

When you say stereo file, do you mean a dithered 16bit, 44.1kHz wave files?

If so, as before, how do you drag a stereo file onto the plugin?

Where will the plugin be if the only way I see to access it is from within a LPX Project?

The final reply to me was:

Yes, you do this within your new project. You may need some help with how to do this in Logic. In Reaper, I literally click and drag the file from the file explorer window onto an open instance of the plugin. Is there a file explorer in Logic? If not, try doing it directly from a track on the timeline/arrange window (or whatever Logic calls the main window).

As mentioned above, I would first mixdown to 24 or 32bit stereo files (pre volume normalisation) and then dither down to 16bit for the final bounce (post volume normalisation). You want to maintain the higher bit depth until the very end.

So my questions to you guys are:

1) How do I drag the file into the open instance of the plugin?

2) What is the file explorer window?

3) How do I do the first mixdown to 24 or 32bit stereo files (pre volume normalisation) and then dither down to 16bit for the final bounce (post volume normalisation) so I can maintain the higher bit depth until the very end?

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

I haven't read all the text, but I use (the free version of) AudioLeak (after mixing and bouncing) to get a quick and easy overview of the overall loudness of a song. I generally aim (for 'average' popsongs) for an overall loudness of -15 (ballad) up to -12 (rocky and dancy) (unweighted, the white line):

169406819_PrinceofDarkness3.7.mp3.thumb.jpeg.160c548c7e9cf4bd58e9165ae9113a93.jpeg

The advantage of AudioLeak is that you can drop WAVs, AIFFs, MP3's and AAC's on it, and it will give you this easy to compare graph (so you can also drop any commercially released song on it, just to see how loud they mix it). The looks of the waveform are also telling. If something has been squashed it'll look something like this:

419847004_NatalieImbruglia-Torn.mp3.thumb.jpeg.a3cba747fd82abf41986b0caca03950a.jpeg

To be fair, this is ripped off a podcast - podcasts and radio generally compress songs another 6 dB, so it looks and sounds like, well, flat and loud and harsh - tinnitus inducing, listening fatigue inducing relentlessness of overloudicity. I can't really listen to these squashed versions anymore, which is why I hardly listen to broadcasts.

To check loudness while mixing, just use Logics' loudness meter, and aim for -15 to -12 LUFS as the mastered level. Aim 5 dB lower if a mastering engineer has the final 'say'.

http://www.channld.com/audioleak/

The free version is 3.1.3. Works flawlessly on El Capitan. Don't know how it does on either Sierra.

The original Post is a little long winded, so let me ask in as few words as possible :)

I was told to drag a stereo file onto the HOFA plugin. I asked how and the answer was:

You do this within your new project. You may need some help with how to do this in Logic. In Reaper, I literally click and drag the file from the file explorer window onto an open instance of the plugin. Is there a file explorer in Logic? If not, try doing it directly from a track on the timeline/arrange window (or whatever Logic calls the main window).

So:

1) How do I drag a stereo file onto the HOFA plugin

2) What and where is a file explorer window that has the stereo file?

Please note that while any of my Projects are open, if I open the HOFA plugin on any track and then hide the Project, the HOFA plugin will still be visible.

if I go to my desktop where a WAV File of one of my songs is, I can drag that file to the plugin, and it does analyze things such as Length, Sample Rate, Bits per Samples, Peak Level, True Peak Level, EBU Integral (which is where the LUFS is shown) and EBU LRA.

I am 99 % sure that If you go to the app store on the machine that has 10.5 installed, they will not offer incompatible versions - so you can not upgrade to any version beyond 10.2.4, if you have Yosemite installed. If you have El Capitan, you can only get 10.3.3. Only on the Sierra's you can get 10.4.1

On the right hand side is an area accessible by clicking on the buttons at the top - Apple loops, the list editor, tempo editor and various other options are available. One tab is just called Project, which lists the audio files and their associated regions under each file name. I'd say it's a pretty essential part for managing files in Logic.

If you bounce your mix, you can put it anywhere you like - try bouncing a project to your desktop and see if you can drag the file to the HOFA plugin like that.

On the right hand side is an area accessible by clicking on the buttons at the top - Apple loops, the list editor, tempo editor and various other options are available. One tab is just called Project, which lists the audio files and their associated regions under each file name. I'd say it's a pretty essential part for managing files in Logic.

If you bounce your mix, you can put it anywhere you like - try bouncing a project to your desktop and see if you can drag the file to the HOFA plugin like that.

I could always take a Project bounced to the Desktop and drag it to the plugin :)

I opened view Browser, I selected Projects, but when I try to drag the file to the plugin, no can do.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1) I'm going to take 8 Projects and Bounce them to my Desktop.

2) I'm then going to create a new, blank Project and create 8 audio tracks.

3) I'm going to take each Bounced File on my Desktop and drag them to a different audio track.

The above 3 are easy.

I'm then supposed to take each track file, one at a time, drag it to the plugin, and then measure its LUFS.

Once I determine which track has the lowest LUFS, I'm then supposed to go to each track and adjust it according to get as close as possible to the volume of the reference LUFS track.

So is this goal possible?

Apple Support says:

1) I can only upgrade to High Sierra from Yosemite.

2) 10.0.7 is the highest version that can be used with Yosemite.

That makes no sense to me. As I said, I have 10.2.4 working fine on Yosemite. I think 10.0.7 is the highest that works on either mountain Lion or Mavericks (OS X 8 and 9). On Yosemite you can go to 10.2.4.

Also, if you have an older Mac that can only run up to Yosemite or El Capitan, the app store will not provide the option to upgrade the OS beyond that - at least, that is how it is supposed to work.

Let me rephrase #2 :)

LPX 10.0.7 is the highest version that my computer can be updated to.

They said since my computer has Yosemite, the only way to update Logic to 10.2.4 is by upgrading the Mac OS to High Sierra first because it is the newest/only version I can upgrade to for free.

Let me rephrase #2 :)

LPX 10.0.7 is the highest version that my computer can be updated to.

They said since my computer has Yosemite, the only way to update Logic to 10.2.4 is by upgrading the Mac OS to High Sierra first because it is the newest/only version I can upgrade to for free.

Sorry, but that makes even less sense. Again, 10.2.4 is compatible with Yosemite, so there should be no need to upgrade to High Sierra.

Compatibility and available upgrades are two different things :)

They said if I have Yosemite on my computer, 10.0.7 is the highest version I can upgrade to.

That being said, any advise on how to tell Apple Support that they are totally wrong would be GREATLY appreciated :)