System Overload and other errors in 10.4.1

saturation

I have Logic Pro X 10.4.1, my OS is running on a 256 SSD, my LPX sound files are running on a brand new 2TB SSD drive and I'm using Thunderbolt, yet I still get crackling, lag, and unbelievably frustrating glitches and "System Overload" messages with Logic. I'm starting to think I should bail on their product--should I really be forced to spend $4000 on a new Mac just to use Logic? Ridiculous. Also, I've tweaked my Logic I/O, sampling, and playback settings many times over, reduced some of the memory eater plugins (Kontakt, etc), yet this is still happening. And the song I'm dealing with now has 50 tracks, on average 1 plugin per (some are bussed out).

Do I have to break down and get a new Mac? I'm only 2 years deep in the Mac world, but I'm not very confident in the outlook. Below are my specs--any help is appreciated! Oh, and I wouldn't say this is necessarily due to 10.4.1--it was happening before I upgraded LPX, but I've been adding more layers as of late.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Listen, overloading Logic Pro is usually a matter of running too many heavy plugins. So it would help if you could show a screenshot of your whole mixer in playback, plus a good screenshot of your CPU- and diskload meters in Logic. And finally, what audio interface do you use?

Also, "system overload" is not really an error. It just means the session is too heavy. Freezing tracks with intensive plugins (reverbs, or multilayered synths, or just CPU-gobbling plugins in general), or bouncing them in place, switching off the original track, are a few of the simpler ways to combat overloads

I'd say, only if you know how to "lighten the load" and you still can't eliminate most overloads, well, then it may indeed be time for new hardware - although I think with those specs you should be able to run Logic as long as you are aware what plugins to be economical with.

You have an underpowered machine for the things you wanna do.

There's a point where you cannot save CPU resources by fiddling with the software anymore.

You don't have to spend 4000 dollars.

Depending on if you want portable or an iMac, you can spend around 2000 dollars for a brand new machine.

Or less for a used machine.