Replacing macbook pro now or wait for new model?

Hi everyone, I am looking to replace my Mid 2010 13" Macbook pro , 2.4GHZ core 2 duo, with a new model, the best I can afford is the 2.3Ghz i5 model, I probably will get a refurbished one as the 128GB SSD will be far too small.

Now, I am managing to use my current mac without too many problems, so I am hoping that a new model with 8GB of ram will be enough.

I am just unsure wether to wait until June and see if a new model is released, or to go for a model now. If a new model is released, I will have to go for the base model, but the possibility of a quad core processor seems it may be worth the wait. If it has a 128GB SSD I will have to wait for a refurb to come up, or get the 2017 model.

I really am worried if I spend £1249 it won't be enough to run logic smoothly. I think it will seeing as my model from 8 years ago isn't too bad, I really just wanted clarification from anyone who runs this kind of setup themselves.

More money is pretty much out of the question, as I am not at work due to ill health, this is a hobby to keep me occupied and I also need to buy some studio monitors. I have everything else I need apart from monitors, and a upgrade to my current mac.

Thank you all for your help, Conan.

What about a used 2012 i7 non-retina 15 inch quad-core i7?

It has USB 3, FW800, Thunderbolt and fast enough architecture for Logic.

On those you can still replace the spinning HD with an SSD and add more ram.

They run between 600-800 bucks on craigslist in the US.

Could be a stepping stone for a bigger purchase later, since their resell value is pretty good.

What about a used 2012 i7 non-retina 15 inch quad-core i7?

It has USB 3, FW800, Thunderbolt and fast enough architecture for Logic.

On those you can still replace the spinning HD with an SSD and add more ram.

They run between 600-800 bucks on craigslist in the US.

Could be a stepping stone for a bigger purchase later, since their resell value is pretty good.

I wouldn't mind going used, would I be much better off going with a older quad core i7 over a newer base model? I just had a look on Ebay, and I can get a 2012 model for around £600. This would allow me to buy new monitors at the same time as a new mac.

I just worry about buying an older model, and if it will last me well, as the 2012 model will already be 6 years old this year.

I am pretty broke as due to being unwell I am not working, so this is really a hobby for me to keep me occupied while I am stuck at home. Due to not having much money, I do really want it to last me. Of course, I intend to continue when I am well enough to go back to work as well, and in a few years will hopefully be in a position to be able to replace it when I am back at work.

Should I look for a slightly newer model, or would the 2012 be the one to go for? I remember when you just looked at a processors clock rate to know how good it was, all this i5 and i7 stuff confuses me a bit.

EDIT: If I spent my full amount, I could just about get a 2015 15", 2.2Ghz with 16GB ram. I guess this would be a much better choice than a base model 13"?

The 15-inch 2012 non-retina i7 quad-cores are great for Logic.

Don't buy 13-inch, those are dual-cores.

And I wouldn't spend all the money on just the laptop, especially if you need a display or additional external HDs.

I will see what the best deal I can find is on one of them then. My current set up works, but isn't the best, I ran a logic benchmark earlier and only managed 16 tracks playing, 72 loaded up.

I already have everything else I need, or at least that I need for now apart from monitors.

Would I not really notice much real world improvement with a slightly newer model? If I won't it will be the 2012 I go for most definitely :)

There's a big difference from a 2010 core 2 duo to a quad-core i7 from 2012. You'll like it.

Ok, I think I will go for a 2012 model then. I'm having trouble finding a non retina model, would a retina display model with 16GB ram still be a good choice? I can find them for reasonable prices, I understand the RAM is soldered to the logic board though? I think 16GB is the maximum though, so this shouldn't be too big of an issue should it?