Touch Tracks Sporadically Stopping Playback/Looping???

PianoWizard

Hey LPX Help,

Does anyone have any experience with troubleshooting Touch Tracks that sporadically stop playback/looping? I am running LPX 10.4.1 on Sierra 10.12.6. My main interface is a FocusRite Clarett2 via Thunderbolt and I have my keyboard controller hooked up to that via regular MIDI cables. I am triggering the Touch Tracks w/a Logidy UM13 foot switch which is a USB MIDI connection and I have an expression pedal hooked up to that which I am running through a Transform object in the Environment to convert CC11 to CC102 for various plugin control assignment. I do have the trigger mode in my Touch Tracks set to Toggle Loop and to start on the bar. This is a very simple session with only 4 tracks. Currently I have only one 8 bar drum region assigned to a Touch Track and I have Groups off. The region was a Drummer region that I converted to MIDI and it resides on the same track that the Drummer region was instantiated/created on. The cutting out/stopping of the loop is very hard to predict. Sometimes it stops after 2 bars and other times it will happen at bar 200 or higher. Sometimes I can go a few playbacks w/o it happening and other times it will happen consistently with each playback attempt. Thanks for any help on this and a special shoutout to David...I read your book three times...thanks and good job. Attached is a screenshot of my Environment setup on this.

Environment Screenshot:

765771398_ScreenShot2018-04-30at12_07_52PM.thumb.png.a0bd1467bdce86057c13a4775d153ffd.png

Touch Tracks Screenshot:

1499036531_ScreenShot2018-04-30at12_11_03PM.png.8eccee0c3b50e558995f9963ec2a1694.png

Thanks for the reply David. Very disheartening to hear this as the cornerstone of my goals with Logic is to utilize the Touch Tracks feature for live gigging. It is a simple setup and ambition in that all I'm trying to do is set up a Summing Track with a bass (left hand) and piano (right hand) layering and then a track housing various 4 to 8 bar drum/percussion MIDI regions that I intended to loop and trigger via a Touch Tracks object. i'm going to keep troubleshooting this but if these are buggy here in Logic I'm guessing MainStage is no better. Any suggestions for an alternative approach/program to achieve my goals? Anyone else have any experience with this? This seems like a simple feature to get to work correctly and something that should be used by a fair number of users and shouldn't be flying under the radar of the Apple design/bug fix team at this stage of the Logic game. What am I missing on that?

I use Logic VERY extensivley for live work, this link has a write up of some of what I do.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119908

I've gotten even more sophisticated recently and will make a new topic when I have the time. My method is *way* more than you are looking to do, but will give you an idea of how to accomplish what you are looking for.

My/David's method for triggering midi regions is 100% rock solid reliable. It has literally never failed me.

Touch Tracks are a bit finicky and I now only use them in one song and even then when I update that project will probably stop using it. It is a shame, it has potential. I have to believe there is something coming for Logic since they have a loop function in Garage Band.

MainStage is a bit different as it focuses on audio loops, not midi loops. It works well and there many, many, many Broadway pits and national big name acts that use it. It isn't the right tool for me.

Or you could just get one of the beginner version of Ableton and do that. Again, wonderful program but not the tool for me.

Thanks for the reply RBG. The one item I gleaned from your link was to utilize Pattern mode w/Ultrabeat to possibly achieve my goals as stated above w/o resorting to Touch Tracks. I am still troubleshooting this issue and think I am on to what is causing this; at least for me and my setup and what I'm trying to do. I will try to post my results/findings when I think I've nailed it...still not 100% there. If I get this weasel maybe the info can be passed to Apple.

Yes, the pattern toggle will do what you want. The only downside compared to Touch Tracks is not being able to have the region start at the begging of the next bar, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. What I like about it is I use the BeatStep as my controller and with that I can set the pads to toggle so I have visual on what tracks I have enabled because the pads light up.

And you don't need to only use this with Ultrabeat, you can use with ANY midi item, or you could also use it to mute/unmute audio tracks in real time without touching the computer. Using a channel splitter I can address 16 different tracks.

I haven't isolated the cause of this but I have isolated the action that causes this undesired behavior and can replicate 100% of the time the behavior of the looping Touch Track dropping out. Hopefully this info can get to Apple and they can determine what is the problem.

PROBLEM - When playing back a Project utilizing the Touch Tracks feature, regions that had been assigned to a Touch Track and that had been successfully triggered and were in Toggle Loop playback were (seemingly) sporadically and (seemingly) without cause cutting out and no longer audible even when no command was issued to halt their playback.

ISOLATED ACTIONS/BEHAVIOR - After much troubleshooting I finally was able to replicate 100% of the time the action that was responsible for causing a Touch Track in Toggle Loop playback mode to drop out. What I found was that making ANY adjustment to ANYTHING onscreen in Logic that can be clicked on and manipulated [*] either 1.) during playback with a Touch Tracks assigned region already sounding -or-2.) prior to initiating project playback in which there will be a triggering of a Touch Track, will suddenly or eventually in the near term cause the looping Touch Track to stop sounding/playing back. In the case when an adjustment has been made to anything onscreen in Logic prior to initiating the playback of the project itself, the triggering of the Touch Track will be successful but at some point w/in some range of 2 to 25 bars it will cease to sound w/o due provocation. I verified this with my own custom setup of interfaces connected in the Project I was working on as described in my first post and also with a completely stripped down setup where I had nothing connected to my computer at all and tested with a new empty Project. The latter scenario entailed a new, empty project where I dragged a green MIDI Apple Loop to a track and then setup a second track to assign to the Touch Tracks object. In the Environment all I did was add a Touch Tracks object to the Clicks and Ports layer and connected it to the second Sum cable connection of the Physical Input so as to be able to trigger the Touch Track w/the onscreen Musical Typing Keyboard. Of course I then dragged the Apple Loop region to the Touch Track object window and assigned it to a key.

Seems to me there is some kind of threading issue going on here where an interruption is induced whenever an onscreen control is manipulated. What seems unusual or unique is that the undesired behavior also occurs when a control is adjusted prior to initiation of project playback when a Touch Track will be triggered. It must be noted that if no screen controls are manipulated either during playback or prior to playback the Touch Tracks work flawlessly and do not drop out. So after you have a drop out because of manipulating onscreen controls during playback, if you don't make any onscreen adjustment or click anything and then re-initiate playback and trigger a Touch Track it will not drop out. Also, if you open a Project with a Touch Tracks assignment and don't manipulate anything at all prior to initiating playback and triggering a Touch Track, it will work flawlessly as well. The one comfort I am getting from this is that I can use Touch Tracks as I intended to but I am fully aware that if I make any onscreen adjustments before initiating playback that they will not function properly. However, all I need to do is initiate playback after making adjustments and wait for the drop out and then re-initiate playback w/o manipulating anything onscreen and they will work as long as you don't make any onscreen changes during playback too. This makes for frustrations during composing or setting things up for gigging but on a live gig I would never want to be adjusting anything onscreen ever so I'm confident they will work as needed.

This all is seeming hard to explain...I hope it makes enough sense and hopefully someone else will create a new empty project and verify. Thanks for any help on this.

[*]this could be any fader, button, menu, plugin parameter, opening the Library, selecting a region, toggling any tracks Mute or Solo buttons etc. etc.; basically anything you can visually see onscreen w/in Logic and that you can click on with a mouse and manipulate.

I have an Expression pedal connected to my Logidy foot switch and when I assign that and tweak a control it does not cause this issue. My keyboard controller is a Yamaha P255 and it doesn't have any assignable controllers so I don't know about using any other faders/knobs etc. on another controller. I'm guessing it is only when clicking something onscreen. Will someone else set this up and try it? It really should only take 5 minutes tops to instantiate and test this. If this is a universal issue on any system I'm guessing it is an easy fix for Apple...if they are aware of it.

What's up David?? You right the book for Apple and know Touch Tracks are buggy and don't hold a meeting or something with the appropriate tech people at Apple and make them aware of these issue and get them corrected? Why not? I pursued Logic wholeheartedly specifically for the Touch Tracks feature and now to know from the top dog educator for Apple that they are crap and have been for years? WTF??? I should have spent my time studying some other program I guess. This is a total insult. Why isn't Apple fixing this???

For your next book or the revision of the Advanced book by Dvorkin why don't you guys just be honest and instead of going through the excercises and discussions and tutorials on Touch Tracks you just write under the heading "don't bother wasting your time, this is a buggy feature and has been for years".

What's up David?? You right the book for Apple and know Touch Tracks are buggy and don't hold a meeting or something with the appropriate tech people at Apple and make them aware of these issue and get them corrected? Why not?

If only it were that easy most Logic bugs would have been fixed by now. I wish you were right in your assumption of how things work... that's just not how they work in real life.