Logic And File Formats (Important Thanks!)

RoyFan

Hi everyone.

I recently had a disk of logic projects "recovered". I'm assuming the format they were in originally was a Mac format as they were all files that were put on to an external

directly from the Mac HD itself. What surprised me is that the guy actually restored the new files as NTFS, and when I copied those projects/files BACK to the Mac, everything seems to load/work just fine.

So my question is, in the future is it far better/wiser to have the guy doing the recovery recover the new data as the exact same format as the original files on the problematic drive from which he's recovering (which I'm assuming is definitely not NTFS as it came from a Mac HD).

Lastly, since I'm not an expert on file formats, is it possible in some recovery situations, that it's just not possible to recover the new data in the same format as the old/corrupt one and then again the new data would HAVE to be a different format?

Thanks!

NTFS is exclusive to Windows.

The Mac can read but CANNOT write to it natively, so for Logic it's useless.

Same thing for FAT32 formats, which are used for flash/thumb drives. Logic doesn't like it.

Logic needs to see Mac OSX Extended or HFS+ for external drives.

Restore everything to it's original file format if you want to keep the integrity of the files.

PS: Now with High Sierra, the SSDs that are system drives will automatically be converted to the new APFS file format.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Triplets!!

If I've been saving files from my Mac to an External that was NTFS, is there a way to "convert" those projects to Mac OSX? is the best way to do that by simply copying from that (NTFS) drive to a drive formatted to Mac OSX?

Thanks Triplets!!

If I've been saving files from my Mac to an External that was NTFS, is there a way to "convert" those projects to Mac OSX? is the best way to do that by simply copying from that (NTFS) drive to a drive formatted to Mac OSX?

By all means avoid NTFS when working with Logic and the Mac.

Copy those files to a drive that is HFS+ (Mac OSX Extended) if you don't want to loose that data.

And if you're not using a PC then once you copied those files, reformat the external drive to Mac OSX Extended.

Remember that a reformat will ERASE all the info on it. So copy first.

By all means avoid NTFS when working with Logic and the Mac.

Copy those files to a drive that is HFS+ (Mac OSX Extended) if you don't want to loose that data.

And if you're not using a PC then once you copied those files, reformat the external drive to Mac OSX Extended.

Remember that a reformat will ERASE all the info on it. So copy first.

So the act of "copying" will inherently do the conversion? copying a file that is on an external drive formatted to NTFS, to a different drive formatted to Mac OS Ex

will do the conversion in and of itself?

So the act of "copying" will inherently do the conversion? copying a file that is on an external drive formatted to NTFS, to a different drive formatted to Mac OS Ex

will do the conversion in and of itself?

No it won't. You copy first to a drive that is Mac formatted.

Then you go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and erase the NTFS drive by reformatting it to Mac OSX Extended.