Akai S5000 instruments to Logic

ct1

Hello

Can Akai S5000 instruments be transferred to Logic (from Akai CDs)? Or only the samples within a EXS24 "New instrument" ? Or nothing at all? Or would Alchenmy do a better job ??

Some seem to say Logic has to be run in 32 bit, but others say that Logic can no longer be run in 32 bits.

Thank you for any help.

EXS24 allows you to import AKAI CD-ROMs - samples amd patches. I have about 70 CD-Roms (from the good old days) imported (a few Gigi as well). Still sound great but pretty much replaced with softsynth.

Remember to refresh the library after importing.

I’m pretty sure the Akai import function was taken away with the option to run Logic 9 in 64 bit mode - unfortunately for me too, I still have Akai disks that I never got round to importing. I think a program called CDxtract is still available, there used to be a free or low cost version, I’m not sure now though. Anyway, it’s worth having a look for, I remember it working alright some years ago.

No kontakt here. The problem is the strings samples on Logic. The articulation thing is good, but the sustain sound is poor. Whatever bank (Legacy too). As to KOntakt's own samples, well, their website does nothing in their favor. Strings samples in their sustain phase or even attack+sustain are not convincing. I remember better results with some of Akai's. Can I though import sample after sample and edit the loop point myself in EXS ?

You can get some fantastic string libraries for Kontakt but they tend to be expensive and you’d have to buy Kontakt (or Komplete) as well, so it would be a major outlay.

You can take the samples into the EXS24 and adjust the loop points in the audio editor and use the envelope controls on the front panel but it’s a really long job (you need to make sure the individual audio files are labelled with the note names and having additional velocity layers makes it even more complicated). Honestly, I’d look into the CDxtract program first, it does deal with Akai/EXS conversion directly.

Ah, too bad. I don’t remember buying it but it’s been a few years since I had my Akai samplers (S1000 and 3000). I can’t think of any other possibilities, I’m afraid. The EXS 24 could do with a serious update but a lot of people use Kontakt anyway, so I don’t know if it will happen.