Step Editor - Pen Width doesn't remain the same (SOLVED)

3ple

I pick a pen width of, let's say, 3. When I close the Step Editor and then open it again, the pen width defaults to 6.

Is this a normal behavior? I tested with 10.3.2 and it's the same.

It seems like a bug that they forgot to fix...

1056337876_stepeditorbug.gif.287e00e253890444c47464e21b4bc1a0.gif

UPDATE: I noticed that on the left side (Inspector) where it says "Lane Set:" and then the name of the set, on the sub menu it needs to be checked where it says Auto Define... BUT, what I noticed is that if the lane selected is the one that says Automatic, whether it's checked or not, the behavior is the same (pen width defaults to 6). To make it work, I had to select the Create Lane Set For Current Events and THEN check the Auto Define.

Hi

Works correctly here. Is this happening with one project only or all projects, including a new empty project?

CCT

This is a new project. I tried with different templates I have for new projects, even the default Empty New Project that comes with Logic. No changes

How are you exiting the step editor window because when you enter back in again the "C3" lane is not selected which is why you likely have a different pen value.

I'm just closing the window.

I don't believe that the way of exiting the step editor or the lane being selected should change the fact that the bars themselves are changing the width. It's not just the value itself, it's the width of the bars. Also, if I select the lane, change the pen to 3, then exit and enter, when I select it again, it should be 3, not 6. It indeed shows 3 when I come back in, before I select the lane, but once I select it, it goes back to 6.

Look at the example below where I do it twice and look at the width of the bars. They change.

step-editor.thumb.gif.3b48584dc9fb1fa0ddd12fb052a1d2d9.gif

The reason I ask about exiting end entering is because in your case when you (in your example) re-enter the step editor the lane is not selected and you select the track. On mine the lane is selected when I re-enter - hence why it appears to work correctly here. Try to determine on your end why the lane is not selected and see if that sheds any light on this.

306404426_stepeditor3.thumb.gif.423d5cecc8d10daa8e5e947b49d73df1.gif

The reason I ask about exiting end entering is because in your case when you (in your example) re-enter the step editor the lane is not selected and you select the track. On mine the lane is selected when I re-enter - hence why it appears to work correctly here. Try to determine on your end why the lane is not selected and see if that sheds any light on this.

step editor #3.gif

If I show/hide the step editor, which seems to me that's what you are doing by using a shortcut, yes I get the same result. But again, the way you exit and enter, shouldn't change the way it behaves. This is clearly a bug. Look at how it also changes, even without exiting the Step Editor. Just by changing the MIDI region, it defaults to 6 and it doesn't auto-select the lane. Can you try this exact example and see if it works this way on your end?

step-editor2.thumb.gif.09fe51de9070134d8b007484576fc133.gif

wish I could be more help.. But not seeing it here...

step editor #4.gif

I just noticed you have 10.4.1, while I have 10.4

Maybe that's something they fixed with the new version, because with 10.3.2 it's the same as 10.4. I even tried a different user, and it behaves the same way.

Do you have problem in 10.4.1 into a new project? Perhaps your project is corrupted? Or this is an old project that did not port well...

I tried 10.4.1 with Logic’s default empty project, no luck. So it’s not the project itself :/

Considering you recently had issues with some zooming add-on app, have you considered trying to create a new user account, making sure add-on apps are not loading on that new user account and rebooting your computer and Logic from there...

Yeah that app is not installed anymore. I tried a new user account, no luck.

In your example when you select a different region - the step editor lane - previous selected get's unselected and I can't see where it goes ? - on mine - the lane never gets deselected - not sure if there is a correlation here as to a clue or if it is not relevant- I tried it with 10.4 and again based on how I am testing this ( I could be doing something different than you or have a different parameter somewhere) - however it seems to be working here on both versions....

Maybe uploading your project file and letting others test it and give it try might prove worthwhile..?

In your example when you select a different region - the step editor lane - previous selected get's unselected and I can't see where it goes ? - on mine - the lane never gets deselected - not sure if there is a correlation here as to a clue or if it is not relevant- I tried it with 10.4 and again based on how I am testing this ( I could be doing something different than you or have a different parameter somewhere) - however it seems to be working here on both versions....

Maybe uploading your project file and letting others test it and give it try might prove worthwhile..?

When I created that GIF I was using a region with different notes so it has different lanes, I guess that's why it gets unselected. I tried with another project with 2 equal regions, with just notes on for example C1 and the lane doesn't get unselected.

Here's a project:

3ple step editor.zip

Hey guys, please read my update on the original post, below the GIF. Basically the Auto Define needs to be checked and the Automatic lane set doesn't work properly, whether the Auto Define is checked or not. If someone can test it, that would be great :)

I just don't know how to make the Auto Define the default state for new lane sets that are created, because it defaults to unchecked...

But well, at least I found out what was causing the problem.

Still, if you can check it on your end, if the lane set is the Automatic or a new lane set you created and also if by default the auto define is checked or not, if it makes a difference on your projects, that would be great so we can finally figure it out 100% :)