Automation not recording

MrMooky

Hey guys,

So I've gone through all of the latch/touch/write automation "not working" threads and articles I can find, no answer yet...

So here's the deal. I've got a fader on my controller set to CC11. I have a region of midi notes already in controlling the native strings (not the new ones, still on Logic 10.0.6).

When I hit play and start moving the fader, with automation mode set to Latch for this track, I start moving the fader. I can hear the difference in expression as I move it, but can see that no automation is being written, and the automation doesn't play back when I go and play it afterwards.

It seems to be working for general track automation, volume, pan, etc. - but I'm not seeing any changes in editor I'm pretty new at all this, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

With my screen exactly as it is below, is there any reason that my the expression changes I'm hearing when I press play and start moving the slider aren't being recorded into the region editor as automation data?

Deleted plist and cs file, no help. Thanks for the help!

178908035_ScreenShot2018-05-07at12_31_17AM.thumb.png.746f4a26372260766ec07134c25ee647.png

• 2 years later...
What knob on what instrument are you trying to automate ? What version of Logic are you on ?

Logic Pro X. In BBCSO discover I assigned a knob for the "expression". i want that when I play strings Logic register also the variation on that expression. When I touch the knob it moves, but Logic didn't record the variation, even in "Write" mode. Behringer UMX61

In BBCSO discover I assigned a knob for the "expression". i want that when I play strings Logic register also the variation on that expression. When I touch the knob it moves, but Logic didn't record the variation, even in "Write" mode. Behringer UMX61

Expression is MIDI data, just like MIDI notes you play on your keyboard. You capture Expression the same you would MIDI notes: by pressing Record in Logic.

"Write" mode is for track automation. I don't recommend ever using that mode though, I recommend using "Touch" or "Latch" instead. In those modes, you can press play and move knobs and fader on your screen with your mouse, your trackpad, or with a controller knob if you've learned or assigned that knob (through Logic's control surfaces or in Smart Controls) to control that onscreen knob or fader and can see it move.

In BBCSO discover I assigned a knob for the "expression". i want that when I play strings Logic register also the variation on that expression. When I touch the knob it moves, but Logic didn't record the variation, even in "Write" mode. Behringer UMX61

Expression is MIDI data, just like MIDI notes you play on your keyboard. You capture Expression the same you would MIDI notes: by pressing Record in Logic.

"Write" mode is for track automation. I don't recommend ever using that mode though, I recommend using "Touch" or "Latch" instead. In those modes, you can press play and move knobs and fader on your screen with your mouse, your trackpad, or with a controller knob if you've learned or assigned that knob (through Logic's control surfaces or in Smart Controls) to control that onscreen knob or fader and can see it move.

I tried also in TOUCH or LATCH mode but anything happens. I can hear the difference in sound when I play, but Logic doesn't record those variations.

I'm also having this issue (with BBC SO and a number of other Spitfire libraries). I have bound expression + volume to sliders on my keyboard controller, and this works fine, but is not picked up in "normal" record.

The only way I get around it is by selecting "Record automation with MIDI Regions", but this is disabled by default, and so I have to remember to select it for every track!

Every tutorial I've seen online seems to suggest that this shouldn't been necessary, feel like I must be missing some dumb setting somewhere, but I can't find anything! Any help would be appreciated!

The Spitfire instruments respond to regular MIDI CCs (in which case you need to record as MIDI, not automation), *or* as plugin parameter changes, which will write automation.

If you want to write automation from a CC, you must use Logic's Controller Assignments to learn, eg MIDI CC 11 to the "Dynamics" plugin parameter etc - now, the MIDI CC's will directly control the Spitfire parameters as therefore generate automation events.

Brilliant! So basically I've made a mess using the "Controller Assignments" (I thought it was too easy!). For some stupid reason I thought the UI dial was creating MIDI messages, and so in a round-about-way it was all working out. Not so!

My main concern here is that my Logic is setup in a way that makes is hard to share files (with other people + future me) and all because I have inferior MIDI controller hardware at the moment (it's not programmable, so I'm stuck with the messages the sliders/dials are sending).

Ideally I would have the correct (default) MIDI setup being written straight into Logic, so that the plugins etc in Logic are all default config and everything just works. The limitations of my MIDI controller is then relatively contained.

I'm trying to rewrite incoming messages from CC41 to CC11 and from CC42 to CC1. I think I have a few options, though they all seem involved (spent a few hours messing with this already, so would appreciate some hints as to which you think is the best approach before I spend a few days doing the wrong thing!):

* I've found "Environments" - wow, and the "Transformer" docs. This looks complicated, but also something you need to apply to each track (rather than just rewriting every MIDI message "globally" on the way through).

* MacOS MIDI setup should allow me to put a software instrument in-between my keyboard and Logic that could re-write the messages (I'm guessing)?

* Another approach (just buy a programmable keyboard!!!)?

Note for other Spitfire plugin users: discovered that you can remap the controller assignments in the Spitfire plugin (though again likely on a track-by-track basis, and then you're again running off non-standard MIDI data).

Having posted that message (after a long time messing with Environments and Transformers) I've got it to work! Found the Sequencer input which made all the experiments I tried suddenly spring to life, so I think this will work for now.

Many thanks for your help - both in this thread and in the rest of the forum (where I found info on the Env + Transformers).

Would still be good to know what "best practice" is for this stuff. I'm sure this can get very messy if you're not careful!

Ok, so the environment stuff is annoying to add to new Logic projects (and mix into existing ones!).

Playing around with the Plugins now (as suggested - thanks!).

Unfortunately the standard Modifier plugin doesn't work for me, as I need to remap CC 41 and CC 42 which for some reason aren't included in the list of options, so I've written some quick Javascript instead.

Posting here in the hope that it's useful to someone else:

// Configuration for Novation LaunchKey 61 to map to 
// standard MIDI CCs for Spitfire plugins.
//
// Mapping Slider 1 (CC41) to CC11 (expression)
//         Slider 2 (CC42) to C1   (dynamics)
//
//         Dial 1 (CC21) to C19 (reverb)

function HandleMIDI(event)
{
if (event instanceof ControlChange) {
	switch (event.number) {
	case 41: // CC41 -> CC11
		event.number = 11;
		break;
	case 42: // CC42 -> CC1
		event.number = 1;
		break;
	case 21: // CC21 -> CC19
		event.number = 19;
		break;
	}
}
event.send();
}

Also looking through the docs for the CoreMIDI API, so will post again if I can manage to write a simple program (outside of logic) to re-write the MIDI messages.

Haha, no I saw it too and fixed it! Also made the same mistake in the post body, so corrected that too.

After adding a few scripts into the plugins, it's very easy to mess this up (and end up having to double check everything channel by channel)...

Now fixing this externally with MidiPipe (outside of Logic) instead, saving me from testing my Objective-C skills which have not seen action for many years now... Let's see how this works at some scale!

• 1 month later...