When Deleting - How To Tell What Files In Project Broser Belong To Media Folder And Which Are In Other Folders

RoyFan

Hey - I want to copy a big project , and then take the coped version and downsize it by a lot.

I know the File Browser in Logic is the right way to delete "unused" files in this new project, question is - I want to be 100% sure

that I'm only deleting the files in the Media folder within this new copied project.

Is there a way to sort all the files in the File browser in Logic by path? Or any other way to make sure I'm only deleting files in the media foder?

If you saved a project from the beginning and checked "folder" and "include audio files", every file that's being used is in the Audio folder.

Once you select unused and delete in the Audio window the majority of those should be gone. But...

To make sure they're actually gone from the folder you have to go to top menu File -> Project Management -> Clean up.

There it will list all the files to be sent to the trash. Click ok and they're gone.

If this last window doesn't pop up then there's nothing to delete anymore.

Thanks as always for the answer Triplets! the reason i was wondering about sorting by path..

is unfortunately some of the tracks were imported, and for a reason I still don't understand, Logic

didn't copy those into the media folder, rather just imported them from where they were on disk..

in any event, i guess from you're saying the only way to do this correctly is to go one by one and differentiate the imported files (which I shouldn't delete since the original project is also using that copy)

and the ones that are in both respective "media" folders for which I can delete the ones of the copied project without affecting the original project..

unless there's a better way?

Do a Saves As, check "Folder" and "Audio Files" and put it somewhere else, not in the same folder where the original is.

This will grab all the used files and put them in a self-contained project.

After you did that, trash the original (but don't empty the trash yet) and open the new copy by double clicking the project icon (don't use the recent menu) and double check that everything is there.

Then you do this with all the projects that have files scattered all over the place.

To avoid having to do this fix in the future, whenever you create a new project, save it right away with the folder and audio files option.

Thanks a bunch... i believe tho I did save the project in the way you specified. Unless you think importing audio before the project is saved in such a way keeps it at original location?

there's no bug or other known situations that logic fails to copy a copy of imported audio into project folder

like seems to have happened here?

Do a Saves As, check "Folder" and "Audio Files" and put it somewhere else, not in the same folder where the original is.

This will grab all the used files and put them in a self-contained project.

After you did that, trash the original (but don't empty the trash yet) and open the new copy by double clicking the project icon (don't use the recent menu) and double check that everything is there.

Then you do this with all the projects that have files scattered all over the place.

To avoid having to do this fix in the future, whenever you create a new project, save it right away with the folder and audio files option.

Hi triplets,

I have been experiencing the same problem. Can you tell me what I did wrong?

I did a project only to Master songs (let's call it 1A). Once I'd like to use the same song reference and plugins to master a second track (called 2A), I DELETED all audio files used in the project 1 (left only the song reference) and deleted all other TRACKS. Than I SAVE AS in other place with a new name (2A). After I SAVE AS 2A I did a CLEAN UP and save it again (2A). When I opened (2A) it is still asking for the files that I had on 1A project.

I really can't understand what CLEAN-UP did once all files still being required.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Is there a way to sort all the files in the File browser in Logic by path?

Not that I know of unfortunately but you can choose Window > Open Project Audio and widen the "Location" column to see the paths for all your audio files at the same time. Then it's only a matter of visually checking that all the files have the same path:

location.png.0fa9298b99e34951b9a7fe60ab308c94.png