Lost tracks

Jayozz

I lost an earlier version of a song. In order to save space and not have my system overload, I “saved as” to create and different version then erased some tracks, thinking I can copy and paste them back in from the first version after I put down a lot of vocals. I haven’t emptied my trash and I see that song title and waves all over the place. I can’t seem to open them in Logic. I’m not sure if they are just individual tracks or all tracks. Does anyone have a solution?

MacBook pro Yosemite OSX 10.10.5

Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core2 Duo

Memory 8GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

Logic pro 10.11

Hi David,

Sorry, I was wondering if I made sense at all. It was in the wee hours of the night frustrated trying to find what I was looking for. I also don’t know a lot of the terms. It was an earlier version of the song. The name is “After all these years” I saved it as “After all these years vocals” then I erased tracks, so I wouldn’t get overload errors as I put a bunch of vocals on..

It was actually a few months ago as I worked on getting the vocals right and I figured the earlier version was still there like I have done before with other songs. Last night I was gong to open it up, but it was gone.

I don’t save them in a project folder or package. I thought I saved it in dropbox as an extra security, but it wasn’t there either.

I don’t save them in a project folder or package. I thought I saved it in dropbox as an extra security, but it wasn’t there either.

????

Doesn't make any sense. You either save the project as a folder or a package. If you don't you will loose everything you did.

I just hit the save button and it saves within logic. I've never lost anything before. Are you saying I should create folder on the desktop? I'm not sure what a package is. Sorry I'm ignorant to this. I'm pretty knew and I haven't run into this before. Can you guide me what the right thing to do is as well as have a way to retrieve these deleted tracks?

I would recommend you learn to fully master how files and folders are organized, saved and retrieved on a computer. Just like a book you put away, if you're organized, and remember where you've placed your book, on a computer, if you know how and where you save a file, you will retrieve it. Saving a file on a computer implies that you know exactly WHAT you're saving, WHERE you're saving it, and how to access that location when you want to find the file you saved. There are many articles out there, so don't hesitate to google a few, then PRACTICE. I know it sounds silly, but like with any discipline, nothing beats hands on practice. Open Logic, create a simple file, save it, close it, locate it in the Finder, reopen it, alter it, save it as a new version of the same project, close it, reopen the original version, record some audio, locate that audio file in the project folder in the Finder, etc etc...

I just hit the save button and it saves within logic.

When you do so, the save dialog gives you a choice between saving a package or a project folder. I recommend saving your Logic files as project folders.

2128230432_packagefolder.png.78619598a6ced8750275773b41574fa1.png

Are you saying I should create folder on the desktop?

No, when you choose the option to save as a project folder, Logic will create the project folder for you and place your .logicx file inside, along with folders for all the media file the .logicx file may be using, such as audio files (mainly) but also sometimes for example EXS or Alchemy files (don't worry about any of those for now, only worry about audio files).

I'm not sure what a package is.

A way to make a folder appear as a file in the Finder. So that the project folder that contains the .logicx file, the audio files etc... is entirely contained within a single file called package. I don't recommend saving your logic files as packages.

Geez, sometimes I wonder if I have brain damage. I found what you are talking about. It automatically saves in package which also includes: audio files, EXS, ultrabeat samples, and space designer for this song . Other songs only have package checked, but I can hear them and work with them. Are those needed? The one song that I thought was lost I originally created on IPad garage band, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with those extra radio buttons checked. BTW I got my song Back. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing you say in one of your postings save to project. "I recommend saving your Logic files as project folders." and in the last one you say "I don't recommend saving your logic files as packages" Can you clarify

Thank you so much David!!!. Do you have any tips on this? I have a midi track of drums that I created in IPad garage band which no longer has audio. It used to work in Logic, I have another midi track and it has audio. Any tips to get that back?