EXS24 Sustain Sample

XMaramena

In the Environment, you could chain two transformers, one converting CC64/value127 to the first Note On/value###, and the second converting CC64/value0 to the second Note On/value###. However, you'll need to use additional Transformers to generate the Note-Offs, so you don't potentially end up with stray hanging Notes. ( I did it a while back to trigger piano sustain pedal up & down samples—it took a few Transformers, as shown (in this case the pedal samples were loaded into a separate EXS instance than the piano itself, that's why the extra (1st & last) Transformers); this particular patch translates the duration of the pedal down into note length (if desired), but requires the second sample to be set to decay on its own (release) after the Note Off). You'd patch the Transformers between the Physical Input object and the desired Channel Strip, so the pedal-generated notes could be recorded live.

1825402452_CC64-gtNotes.thumb.png.b552fb31544a4a85aa87110b74698ba2.png

Wondering if there's a way to trigger a sample from the sustain being activated, then a second sample triggered when the sustain is released?

Yes. Put all the samples you'd like to be triggered when you release a key inside a group and set the Trigger to Key Release for that group. Make sure you adjust the Time parameter next to Key Release:

release-sample.png.cf8caa5c8368036ffc58c3f70b8732dc.png

Really useful info, thanks. I'm looking for the same purpose - pedal sustain ambience and damper return sample.

I also rigged up sustain pedal resonance (that would be applied only to notes played with the pedal down) with a parallel Environment patch in an Aux, using a Space Designer IR of piano resonance.. Just off the top of my head, as I recall that patch was a little more complicated -- the sustain pedal (CC64) controlling both the SD Bypass & Wet Gain and a separate Gain plug-in, because it kept making clicking sounds on pedal up when the sustain resonance was cut off -- but I did get it to work. (The idea was that this patch would add pedal noise & resonance to any piano (that didn't already include that feature) loaded into the main Instrument channel strip)

305587721_EnvPianoPedResPatch.png.783bca208d1b3f6ebea7943bb9334284.png

David's suggestion about using the Key Release trigger option within EXS should simplify at least the pedal noise part..

Again, I'm sure there must be an easier way to do all of this now with Scripter, for anyone versed in JavaScript..

Really useful info, thanks. I'm looking for the same purpose - pedal sustain ambience and damper return sample.
Put all the samples you'd like to be triggered when you release a key inside a group and set the Trigger to Key Release for that group.

I ought to point out that if an Instrument already includes both pedal up and pedal down keymaps (Groups) as well as pedal noise samples then all this is easier -- you set up the pedal to switch between the different Groups and then you just have to convert CC64 to the note(s) that trigger the pedal noise samples. The more elaborate patch I described adds both pedal noise and resonance to any piano Instrument that doesn't include those features (pedal up keymap only).

Put all the samples you'd like to be triggered when you release a key inside a group and set the Trigger to Key Release for that group.

I ought to point out that if an Instrument already includes both pedal up and pedal down keymaps (Groups) as well as pedal noise samples then all this is easier -- you set up the pedal to switch between the different Groups and then you just have to convert CC64 to the note(s) that trigger the pedal noise samples. The more elaborate patch I described adds both pedal noise and resonance to any piano Instrument that doesn't include those features (pedal up keymap only).

Note that my answer was for the original question. It was the simplest answer to "how do you trigger samples when releasing the key".