Color regions by track-Set as default

JCcares

• 5 years later...

Bring up the color swatch palette thingy. You can click the little "refresh" wheel or whatever that is and it'll reset the default. Somehow, I got it to be on green so I had to reset it to blue. I think if you don't have anything selected and you select the color you want, that becomes the default. Maybe you guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the kinda behavior I noticed. It's been so long that I can't remember how I changed the default, well, at least for regions it does this. Idk about the actual channel strip itself. For that, I just set custom colors.

Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 5.47.54 PM.png

5 hours ago, damusicman29 said:

I think if you don't have anything selected and you select the color you want, that becomes the default.

Not really, you always have something selected: either one (or more) regions is (are) selected, otherwise selecting a color assigns it to the selected track, however you can't change the default color of tracks and their regions. 

22 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Not really, you always have something selected: either one (or more) regions is (are) selected, otherwise selecting a color assigns it to the selected track, however you can't change the default color of tracks and their regions. 

Hmmm, I think so... kinda...
Okay in a blank project, I noticed that if I create an instrument track, it's green by default (I wonder if this is due to the way I have my "default" track setup, if that makes sense.)
And then on my audio tracks, they're blue (for similar reasons). 

The colors that are made follow the channel strip color (I think, by default, right?).
Anyway, yeah, very interesting. I wonder if there's a way to make sure it always defaults to a custom color without having to create a new default channel strip color.

Edited by damusicman29

51 minutes ago, damusicman29 said:

Okay in a blank project, I noticed that if I create an instrument track, it's green by default (I wonder if this is due to the way I have my "default" track setup, if that makes sense.)

That's Logic's default colors. In Logic Pro > Settings > Display, if Track Color is set to Static, then audio tracks are blue, software instrument and external MIDI tracks are green, and Drummer tracks are yellow. 

54 minutes ago, damusicman29 said:

The colors that are made follow the channel strip color (I think, by default, right?).

If you record or import a file onto a track from the Finder (for example from the Loop browser or the All Files browser, or using the Pencil tool, or drag and dropping from the Finder), Logic creates a new region for that file, and that new region inherits the color of the track.

If you drag or copy and paste a region from the Tracks area or the Project Audio Browser onto a track, that region keeps its original color. 

59 minutes ago, damusicman29 said:

I wonder if there's a way to make sure it always defaults to a custom color without having to create a new default channel strip color.

No, there isn't. 

What I like to do before I record or import a file onto a track, is to choose a custom color for my track that way: 

1. In the Tracks area, press Option-T to customize the track headers,
  2. Select Color Bars,
  3. Press Option-C to open the color palette,
  4. If no regions are selected on the track, click a color to color the channel strip (and all tracks assigned to that same channel strip),
    If regions on the track are selected, Command-click a color to color the channel strip. 

This workflow allows me to always see the color of my tracks. If I copy regions from a track that had a different color, or if I later change the color of the track, I can then select the regions and choose Functions > Color Regions/Cell by Track Color (Shift-Option-C). 

On 9/19/2023 at 10:36 PM, David Nahmani said:

That's Logic's default colors. In Logic Pro > Settings > Display, if Track Color is set to Static, then audio tracks are blue, software instrument and external MIDI tracks are green, and Drummer tracks are yellow. 

If you record or import a file onto a track from the Finder (for example from the Loop browser or the All Files browser, or using the Pencil tool, or drag and dropping from the Finder), Logic creates a new region for that file, and that new region inherits the color of the track.

If you drag or copy and paste a region from the Tracks area or the Project Audio Browser onto a track, that region keeps its original color. 

No, there isn't. 

What I like to do before I record or import a file onto a track, is to choose a custom color for my track that way: 

1. In the Tracks area, press Option-T to customize the track headers,
  2. Select Color Bars,
  3. Press Option-C to open the color palette,
  4. If no regions are selected on the track, click a color to color the channel strip (and all tracks assigned to that same channel strip),
    If regions on the track are selected, Command-click a color to color the channel strip. 

This workflow allows me to always see the color of my tracks. If I copy regions from a track that had a different color, or if I later change the color of the track, I can then select the regions and choose Functions > Color Regions/Cell by Track Color (Shift-Option-C). 

I have a similar workflow. I set my track colors and then have that same function assigned to a custom keybinding. 

To your earliest statement regarding the static track color, that makes sense. I opened a new project and saw why I was confused: I have my audio track on "green" by default in my base template. And then when I create a new track, it goes to blue. So yeah, that's why haha. Ty!