Why has my old Mac got lower latency?

conanthewarrior
Go to solution Solved by Eriksimon,

Hi everyone, I'm loving my new MBP, but just noticed something.

At 128 samples, 44.1KHZ, my new 15" MBP has around 11.2MS roundtrip latency, and 5MS output. This is a quad core i7.

My old, 2010 core 2 duo has 10.1MS roundtrip- so a 1.1MS less latency, and 4.9ms output. This is with the same interface, also at 128 Samples and 44.1KHZ.

Why does my much older, 13" MBP with a dual core processor have faster latency than my new MBP? It's not much, but I really would like my new one to be the same, or lower, not higher.

EDIT: I see I can adjust recording delay, should I do this? How many samples should I - for 11.2MS? Or do I not need to do this?

• Solution

Well, your information would point not to a hardware difference, but to OS difference - all audio processing is done by Mac OS X's coreaudio (with class compliant interfaces). El Capitans' coreaudio apparently has a lower latency. 1.1 ms at 44.1 kHz comes down to 49 fewer samples.

I have a lot of audio glitches in El Capitan, with three different interfaces, and without Logic even running. I hope they have improved coreaudio in 10.13 compared to 10.11. The apparent bigger buffer does seem to point in that direction.