High Sierra misery

JonAllen

Hello all, Thanks, I'm new here:

I just 'upgraded' my IMAC to High Sierra and am having Logic Pro X (10.2.2) problems.

Mod, I'm not sure which thread this belongs in, but here goes.

- Playing sequences often results in track break-up, or the entire piece of music goes silent while it keeps moving along, I have to do a restart.

- I get the speaker-level symbol for no reason, though it disappears.

- Each hard drive must be selected twice before I see what I have on them, the HDs are LaCie. Not a big deal, but ...

- Maybe I'm losing it, but I swear the music sounds a bit brighter than before, as if I've added a small amount high frequency EQ across all tracks.

- This all occurred within the last few hours, so I'm bracing for more.

- I have a feeling that I'm not alone and am hoping that a patch might be available from Apple. Yeah, always looking for the quick fix.

And of course I'm in the middle of an important project.

Thoughts? Help?

Cheers, Jon

what triplets said. am on LXP 10.4.1 on HS, and running beautifully..

Really fisherking? and you didn't have to do anything apart from just update to High Sierra and update logic? nothing else involved whatsover?

Good that its working beautifully anyways!

Really fisherking? and you didn't have to do anything apart from just update to High Sierra and update logic? nothing else involved whatsover?

i suffer from updatitis, so... i keep my MBP on the latest os betas (to be honest, not always an easy experience), and the latest logic X. right now, everything is stable, fast... best HS experience (with logic) to-date (and bodes well for the official 10.13.5...)

Nice one fisherking, I suffer from paranoidtoupdateitis,

Enjoy!

both incurable :cry:

the beta-testing is sometimes not pretty; i've had to live with some logic issues over the years in the betas, or come up with workarounds (that part i enjoy actually); the official releases work much better, and 10.13.5 should be golden.

There's no way to massage the 10.2.2 version I have now?

Do you have a very good reason why you're sticking with 10.2.2? 10.4 (and 10.4.1) is a really great update with a lot of amazing features AND is stable, I don't know why anyone would want to use anything prior.

I just updated to High Sierra on an old 2009 Mac Pro and to the latest Logic and everything is great as well!

I just updated to High Sierra on an old 2009 Mac Pro and to the latest Logic and everything is great as well!

Hi triplets

oh? I was told that Sierra won't work on a 2009 macbook Pro, never mind High Sierra!

??

Kerochan

Triplets said Mac Pro not MacBook Pro. However, unless I'm reading it wrong and apologies if I am, if you look at the link below (I got that by Googling) it seems you could be in luck.

http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

There is also a link available on the web to go to High Sierra. Google is your friend just put in dosdude high sierra patch tool.

regards

Graham

Not sure about that link to be honest, there are known issues, thank you however!

Gonna stick with El capitan on my old Macbook Pro, its just a back up laptop anyways, emailing, etc, having said that, Logic 10.3.2 runs fine on it, only 4 gb RAM.

Good luck to everyone updating to High Sierra, if you do so I would also recommend updating to the very latest Logic version, 10.4.1 (after saving a copy of your present Logic version)

@David Nahmani, when OS features are added that require specific newer hardware, those specific features may not work on an older machine. For instance, Bluetooth 4 with Low Power modes. But some of us see these features as mostly glitz, and don't even want them. And hardware like Bluetooth 4 can be added to a Bluetooth 2 equipped machine with a simple $10 dongle, as can newer Wifi interfaces. Some, like Thunderbolt, are more difficult.

But this isn't complicated. The faithful fans who hunger for the latest products haven't yet realized that the tale of eternal progress is a myth. Hardware development of desktops and laptops has not been following Moore's law in the last decade. It has leveled off, and there's nothing very different about today's computers compared to ten year old ones. Even the mobiles are stagnating. It surprised me to realize that the iPhone 4 that I still use sometimes, is almost ten years old. This is a growing problem for hardware vendors, as they strive to keep the upgrade cycle rolling.

Sierra or High Sierra not being compatible with a 2009 mac Pro is an entirely artificial restriction. Many people are running both fine on 2009 mac Pros, so Apple certainly could do the same, and make it easy, if they chose to.

There's no way to massage the 10.2.2 version I have now?

Do you have a very good reason why you're sticking with 10.2.2? 10.4 (and 10.4.1) is a really great update with a lot of amazing features AND is stable, I don't know why anyone would want to use anything prior.

Thanks.

Not really, a bit nervous about switching I guess.

What features have been been added?

It does seem like the best, simplest solution.

Any down sides at all?

I admit to paranoia of losing my work. How can I insure against that?

My sequences and Vienna Symphony Instruments are already saved to external hard drives. Logic and it's built-in sounds are on my computer, a loaded IMAC.

I like to think of myself as a good composer, but not exactly the most technically aware. Working on it. :)

Do earlier version guys get a discount for 10.4.1 ?

BTW, as an aside, in the not too distant future I will be advertising for a paying music mixing job for a feature film that I'm now working on. Where here can I run an ad for that?

I'm in Los Angeles, westside.

Best, Jon

There are a ton of new features if you're coming from 10.2.2, you even missed the 10.3 features. My favorite additions are the new flat UI, True Stereo Panning, side chaining from a MIDI instrument, the new Chromaverb plugin, Phat FX and Step FX plugins, the new Vintage EQ plugins, Smart Tempo, and all the new Automation features. Of course there are dozens more features that I didn't even mention, as well as numerous bug fixes.

Any down sides at all? I admit to paranoia of losing my work. How can I insure against that?

First of all, the only true way you'll lose your work is if you failed to back up your Logic projects. 10.4.1 won't "break" any of your projects.

Like David said, you can run both 10.2.2 and 10.4.1 in the same machine if you're really worried. Just create a copy of the Logic X app, name it "Logic 10.2.2", and then update the Logic app through the App Store. There have been no downsides as far as I can see. I only run 10.4.1 on my machine, but I do have copies of some of the older Logic versions on a backup just in case. I compose and produce music for a living by the way, so I rely on having a really solid system with multiple backups of all my projects.

Do earlier version guys get a discount for 10.4.1 ?

Logic point release updates are always FREE. Which is crazy, since they've given us quite several new features at no charge at all. I bought Logic X when it came out in 2013, it's 2018 now and I can't believe so much was added to it since then.. and that I didn't have to pay a single cent for it. Also crazy considering that Logic costs only $199 to begin with.

@JonAllen re: job.

WEST side? Sorry, I don't go out that way.

Just kidding. Couldn't resist.

But re: posting jobs, I'm like the guy who answers somebody's

product-specific question on Amazon by saying "I don't

know, I don't have that one". David should know where

to post the occasional Help Wanted type ad.

Oh, and regarding Logic 10.4.1, one of my favorites is

the ability to apply parameters per region in a track. That one

should have been there for years, but anyway, it's here as of

whenever. And if you're into orchestration check out the new

Articulation Sets.

Not really, a bit nervous about switching I guess.

It does seem like the best, simplest solution.

Any down sides at all?

I admit to paranoia of losing my work. How can I insure against that?

My sequences and Vienna Symphony Instruments are already saved to external hard drives. Logic and it's built-in sounds are on my computer, a loaded IMAC.

I like to think of myself as a good composer, but not exactly the most technically aware. Working on it. :)

You might want to take a look at Apple's main Logic page. It gives a good overview of all the newest features:

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I updated to LP 10.4.1 and am still having the same problems:

- music often cuts in & out

- music occasionally goes completely silent during playback, but can save edits, etc. ???

quitting Logic and then loading it again does not help, still no sound, must do a restart.

I'm clueless as to why.

J.

- music occasionally goes completely silent during playback, but can save edits, etc. ???

quitting Logic and then loading it again does not help, still no sound, must do a restart.

I'm clueless as to why.

I’m not familiar with the troubleshooting steps you’ve taken so far, but your issue might be a matter of audio interface drivers not being updated or compatible.

Edited by paulcristo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm clueless as to why.

J.

Make sure you don't have 3rd party plugins that are in demo mode or not updated to work with High Sierra.

I'm clueless as to why.

J.

Make sure you don't have 3rd party plugins that are in demo mode or not updated to work with High Sierra.

Hello Triplets:

Yes, I'll check the one I do have, IZotope 'Neutrino'. I never use it, it was a free download, so I might just delete it.

As suggested to me here, my interface, an Apogee Quartet may be the problem, or maybe not.

I have contacted them and did all that they suggested including an update, but heretofore I'm still experiencing the same problems.

Damn irritating.

So now I'll look at your suggestion and take it from there.

Having said all that, I do quite like Logic 10.4.1.

Much appreciated, Triplets.

Cheers, Jon