Issues with Sluggish MacBook Pro and Logic

velanche

Hi There:

I have moved recently, and I have set up in the front portion of the place where I now live a studio of sorts.

The setup consists of the following:

- A pair of LG 29” Ultrawide monitors

- MacBook Pro 15” (Late 2013) with 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD drive, with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.x, and Logic Pro 10.4.1

- Komplete Kontrol S49 Keyboard MK2

- Maschine Jam

- Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface (1st-gen)

- Powered USB hub

The big issue that I’m experiencing is major lag on the machine, which is so slow, that when audio plays back, no matter if it’s YouTube or Logic, the sound starts to break up. In Logic, I would get “System Overload” errors.

Realizing that it could have something to do with the menu bar apps and others invoked when logging into my account, I tried creating a new user account, then logging onto it there. For a little while, as long as I don’t open applications like, say, Safari, performance would be peachy. But I’m not sure if this occurs only if I were to try and restart up Safari, but eventually I would get the same lag that will not go away until having to restart the computer.

Obviously, all of this activity is going to make my experience with making music a non-starter. Maybe I can probably bypass the monitors, but surely it should be able to work regardless.

Also, yes, I have tried Activity Monitor...but not only does this seem to be temporary if I were to quit an app from there, but another application running could take over and also hog up the CPU...then rinse and repeat.

Any tips, tricks, or advice, general or specific, would really be appreciated. I don’t plan on upgrading my Macbook for another year, but I gotta think that I have a good enough model for things to work more smooth than how it’s been.

Thank you.