having issues with coreaudio

Urshanabi

Hi

I need a hand troubleshooting an issue I've been having with CoreAudio. I understand if this is not the forum for it, so please advise me where the best place to post this to would be if that is the case.

The issue I'm having is that when I use any program like Logic Pro X or even Pro Tools, there'll come a time when core audio seems to malfuncation and the sound being output from the computer or audio interface sounds 'fragmented' is the only way I can put it. As if every 2nd or 3rd millisecond of information has been removed. I'll try and capture it the next time it happens. I'll also tail the logs via Console filtering for coreaudio. At the moment those logs look like this:

default	16:03:09.017913 +1000	coreaudiod	HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:159:perform:  Audio IO Overload inputs: '' outputs: 'AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,2:0' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
default	16:03:09.108465 +1000	coreaudiod	HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:159:perform:  Audio IO Overload inputs: '' outputs: 'AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,2:0' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
error	16:03:10.026438 +1000	coreaudiod	HALS_IOA1Engine.cpp:365:EndWriting:  HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002EE
default	16:03:10.027961 +1000	coreaudiod	HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:159:perform:  Audio IO Overload inputs: '' outputs: 'AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,2:0' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
default	16:03:10.220929 +1000	coreaudiod	HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:159:perform:  Audio IO Overload inputs: '' outputs: 'AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,2:0' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no

The reason I suspect coreaudio is that after I restart coreaudio the issue goes away... at least for a little while, but never for very long.

Regards

Urshanabi

After running Logic Pro X for an hour or so I caught it in the aformentioned state of malfunction, generating this 'crushed' audio whenever I played any sounds through it (audio or virtual instruments). So I copied the logs from the console and here they are as a link to a text file in my google drive if anyone would be so kind as to have a look at them, I really can't tell which errors are benign warnings and which relate to the trouble I am having.

Sorry, it's quite a long file, the interesting part is likely towards the end: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rNRbzjQE-gZMmyftDCbTYGogmnlw0b39

Hi triplets

Glaring omission on my end! Sorry... here are my system specs and software version numbers.

Hardware:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MBP61.005A.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.58f17

Software:

Logic Pro X: 10.4.1

Protools: 2018.3.0

I suspect you're on OSX Sierra or High Sierra. I've had more issues in Sierra than El Capitan or High Sierra. I moved all my computers to HS with a CPU upgrade and SSD system drives. No issues whatsoever.

So your MBP is a mid 2010 15-inch dual-core i7.

My suspicion is a combination of OSX, the age of the CPU and the interface driver or connection. Which interface are you using?

Edited by triplets