Recording analog synths through RME fireface in logic

TendingTropic
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Goodday!

So I've been reading and learning about input volumes, A/D converters, gain staging, and I realise these questions have been frequently asked here. But I still want to check with you experienced people if what I understood is correct up till now.

So I own a prophet 6, moog sub 37, and some other analog synths. My workflow mainly is centered around driving them by midi from within logic (external midi instruments) and eventually recording the audio from the synths in logic.

So I've understood that leaving enough headroom is important, and that as a guide, -18 to 12dbfs or so on average is a good thing to aim at.

What I'm wondering is the following.

- If I max out my volume knob on my synth (prophet), I get a signal in my RME fireface (setting: +4dBu) around -16dbfs:

428958261_ScreenShot2018-06-11at13_59_58.png.74612c2a935da26298e9c61cefe1446c.png

If I look at logic at the same time; this seems to correspond (more or less same dbfs).

848604826_ScreenShot2018-06-11at14_02_56.png.7dda66d71bd1791d9a1cc9caed2a3f11.png

When I record it to audio; i get this waveform:

617729148_ScreenShot2018-06-11at14_04_20.thumb.png.3f0b2ad7ff7a5a9b5f8cbebe39edf8b7.png

So, questions:

- am I all good? At first I was afraid the input volume of my synth was very low but now that I read about 18dbfs as aiming point I guess it's not that bad

- is it a good idea to have the volume knobs on my synth maxed out? or would you advise turning them down a little and use a gain plugin in logic after?

would you change anything?

Any thoughts are welcome, thanks in advance!

If I look at logic at the same time; this seems to correspond (more or less same dbfs).

On your screenshots it seems like you're getting -16.1 dBFS in the RME mixer but -5.3 dBFS in Logic??

- am I all good?

Yes.

- is it a good idea to have the volume knobs on my synth maxed out? or would you advise turning them down a little and use a gain plugin in logic after?

No, keep the volume knob maxed out on your synth.

On your screenshots it seems like you're getting -16.1 dBFS in the RME mixer but -5.3 dBFS in Logic??

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to respond!

I've checked and you're right; there is a discrepancy between what my RME mixer says and what Logic says.

For instance, i just played a sound which comes in at max -24 on my RME mixer, and i'm getting -15 in Logic.

Can you explain this difference for me? I don't quite understand it!