Piano articulations

Angelos58

Score Editor ->Layout->Midi Meaning.....

These settings determine if, and to what extent, the insertion of the listed symbols affects the MIDI playback of notes (that these symbols are attached to).

for example : if you set the staccato symbol to 25% - and then attach a staccato mark to a note - it's playback value will be 25% of the original length...

Symbols: Symbols change the MIDI output of all notes they are attached to. The following two parameters can be determined for each symbol:

Velocity: This value is added to, or subtracted from, the original velocity value of the corresponding note.

Length: The original note length is shortened by the percentage chosen here. This only affects the playback of the note, not the score display. The note length change can be seen in the Event inspector or in the Event List.

Accents and phrasing marks are then attached to some of the notes, which change the velocity and (playback) length of these notes.

The default settings in the MIDI Meaning pane (in new projects) are 0 for velocity, and 100% (no change) for length. If you don’t change these values, the symbols remain purely graphical, and don’t affect MIDI playback. If you record your regions in real time (using a keyboard), it’s better to use these default settings, as the notes probably already sound the way you want them to.

Important: If you do use MIDI Meaning, you need to adjust the settings before you begin to insert accents and so on. This is because the settings have no influence on accents and phrasing marks that have already been inserted.

Once set, the velocity and length of notes will be changed as soon as you attach one of these symbols to a note. When you delete the symbol, note velocity and length are reset to their initial values.

When you delete the symbol, note velocity and length are reset to their initial values.

I'm not sure that's the case. I believe that when you apply a MIDI Meaning symbol (such as staccato) to shorten a note, the change that occurs is destructive. Removing the symbol does not restore the note's original length. You might want to check this to be sure before investing time into using MIDI Meaning.

Generally speaking, I'd suggest not using the MIDI Meaning feature at all. As a feature it's a good idea, but it's not very practical to use. If you need to hear shorter/staccato notes, I suggest that you adjust the note lengths manually.

OK, I just checked the behavior and it seems different than it used to be, and in some ways that's good. :mrgreen: But it's still got some behaviors that are not reversible and/or buggy...

1) Let's say you set MIDI Meaning staccato to 50% and add staccato symbols to quarter notes using the key command for "attach staccato". The note lengths will be shortened by half (8th notes). That works as expected. And if you remove the staccato notes, their original length will be restored. So that's good.

2) If you apply the key command 2x on the same notes, their length will be cut in half two times, resulting in 16th notes. That's interesting, because you can progressively shorten notes with this method. But...

Now if you remove the staccato symbols, the note lengths will be restored to 8th notes, not quarter notes. So in this way, the feature is partially destructive.

3) If you decide to change the MIDI Meaning length to a shorter value so that additional notes can be made shorter using MIDI meaning, this can affect the score editor's display of rests for any previous notes you used MIDI Meaning on. The note lengths don't change, but the display of rests does. As far as I can tell, this is a bug and a good reason to avoid using this feature.

Edited by ski

1/ yes agreed

2/ yes adding ketchup to the hotdog is fine, but then adding ketchup to the ketchup does present some issues.

3/ hmmm removing the symbol only return it to its previous state (hot dog with ketchup) and using that method you can never get to the hotdog (which is silly i agree). There is however an early workaround - you can use the undo or the undo history to reverse the applying accent step - which does restore it to it's original value.

4/ Definitely agree a bug - as changes to articulation values are only supposed to be reflected for future use - and should have no effect on previous occurrences, which is true for the note length and velocity, yet in the case of the rest interpretation it does - you can't have it both ways.