Linking Logic X projects between two computers???

deckard1

Hello,

I was hoping to record a project in Logic X on my iMac and then mix the same project on my MacBook Pro in Logic X. Is there an easy way to link the two computers without having to put the same Logic project on a thumb drive and physically transfer it? If I remember correctly, DropBox doesn't work for this because it breaks up the Logic project into different parts. Any other possibilities???

Thanks.

put the same Logic project on a thumb drive and physically transfer it

That's what I do. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Alternatively I plug the portable backup drive (one of several seperate backups on different media that I make of every work-in-progress Logic project - you can never have too many backups) into the other Mac and copy it that way.

I use DropBox for this with no problems. In general I keep a folder in DB for swapping/sharing Logic content. I record and work to a local drive on either machine. Then drag a copy of the project to the Dropbox folder so it’s available from the other machine. On the second machine I drag a fresh copy from DB to that local drive and work. Then vice versa. Sure it proliferates copies on each machine and I have a renaming scheme I use which includes revision and date in each project name. But I can toss old ones Indont want at any time (I often don’t).

BUT, I have also experimented with just saving the working project itself right to drop box and simply recording/working right from there and it does indeed work fine too.

I use DropBox for this with no problems. In general I keep a folder in DB for swapping/sharing Logic content. I record and work to a local drive on either machine. Then drag a copy of the project to the Dropbox folder so it’s available from the other machine. On the second machine I drag a fresh copy from DB to that local drive and work. Then vice versa. Sure it proliferates copies on each machine and I have a renaming scheme I use which includes revision and date in each project name. But I can toss old ones Indont want at any time (I often don’t).

BUT, I have also experimented with just saving the working project itself right to drop box and simply recording/working right from there and it does indeed work fine too.

I thought DropBox breaks up the files of a project? I haven’t tried it myself yet. Will try and see what happens.

I think there's a solution for this. You know where big companies that deal with paperworks they link diff PCs w/ multiple printers, that's LAN connection. If a file is created in one computer it will automatically show up to the 2nd one. ETHERNET PORT CONNECTION, I learned that in school. But, if you use your MBP in the go Dropbox would be the best alternative in this case.

Dropbox working just fine here too. We're using this on a huge scale with loads of projects. But I'm using "Organize project as folder". Doesn't break up files. The only slight problem is that in the Finder "Date modified" doesn't update if the file had been altered on the other rig. In order to get the correct date you need to open the "package".

Thanks!

Tried them both! Both DropBox and Airplay seem to work great. I think DropBox might have the better edge because the second computer doesn't have to be on. Seems for Airplay to work both computers must be on at the same time? Please correct me if I am wrong.