multipressor question!

kerochan

DAW users are overly fond of multi band compressors. Most engineers advise that there's no reason to use one unless you're trying to retroactively EQ a mix where you don't have control of individual tracks. In other words, unless there's a specific reason you're using one, don't.

(Liking the sound you get is a valid reason. But make that judgement.)

DAW users are overly fond of multi band compressors. Most engineers advise that there's no reason to use one unless you're trying to retroactively EQ a mix where you don't have control of individual tracks. In other words, unless there's a specific reason you're using one, don't.

(Liking the sound you get is a valid reason. But make that judgement.)

Took note Mike,

I agree, same for the Linear Phase EQ,

I will refrain from using these.

Cheers

Kero

Multiband compressors can be incredibly useful to help fix certain issues, at the same time they can easily ruin a mix if you’re not careful. Usually they are best left for times when you do have issues, like out of control bottom end for example.

Linear Phase eqs won’t ruin the mix as easily, but like normal eq, it is still possible to overlook things. However, it generally isn’t necessary unless you’re noticing some weird phasing issues with a regular eq. The downside is you tend to lack that “vibe” you get from more the more analogue style of modelled eq.

As opposed to putting a multiband compressor on the master out, the mix is probably better serviced making changes on the tracks or submixes.

Although, having said that, a friend once put me on to a trick used by Greg Wells. I haven’t gotten around to trying it myself yet, but apparently he uses a multiband, (C4 or C6) in his case, to compress just the lower mids for a more refined sound.