Auto Punch when MIDI Recording - clip always too short ??

m.arthur

Hi,

I am having a problem with using auto punch in Logic Pro X when I'm recording my soft synths.

I set the auto punch range (the red bar).

I record, and play my part.

Afterward, the far-right end of the newly created clip always stops before the actual end of the auto-punch range (see pic -- this is immediately after recording, and I did NOT hit 'stop' before the end of the autopunch range was reached, the recording went past the end of the range, then I hit stop, then it appeared this way).

This happens both with Cycle on and Cycle Off. So with cycle on (and auto punch range set same as cycle range), even with it cycling through the range, the resulting clip will still be shorter than the range.

So, my clips are never the size I want them. Even if I was performing notes the whole time through the section, the end of the clip will come before the end of the auto-punch range.

This is not the expected behavior!

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

1550891851_ScreenShot2018-06-19at9_35_27PM.thumb.png.b8a1e2a6fbb1548591abbde557ff9ecb.png

• 1 month later...

As requested, I've uploaded a simple logic project in which this behavior is occurring. But, this happens in any and every project I create in Logic...

I created a software instrument track, added ES2, turned on Auto Punch, created a range for it, set the playhead before that range, hit record... I played the ES2 bass patch throughout the auto punch range, and a bit past it. Then I hit stop. You'll see the clip that resulted from this: it's shorter than the auto-punch range. And not in a quantized fashion, either: the end of the clip is actually not aligned to the beat grid.

This happens with cycle on, as well, but in the example session, cycle was off the whole time.

Let me know if anybody has any ideas, because as is, I cannot use auto punch at all!

-Michael

broken auto punch example.zip

I opened your project and yes, it's shorter. I tried and created a new empty project and it's the same. What I noticed is that Logic assumes the end of the last note(s) as the end of the region. That being said, if you stop your MIDI before the Auto Punch ends, Logic will create a shorter region. If you play a note or chord that extends pass the Auto Punch, Logic will create a region that stops at the end of the Auto Punch, cutting the MIDI note(s) as well. Try it yourself

It doesn't seem like a bug to me, even though I understand that it would make sense to most of us.

Here's how I see it:

When you record audio and use the auto punch, Logic doesn't really know what is useable audio and what's not, so silence would be seen as usable audio. That's why it create an audio region that uses all space of the Auto Punch.

With MIDI, Logic knows what is a MIDI note and what's not, so I guess it just assumes that everything after the last note(s) is unusable space and just discards it...

That's my guess. ;)

So yeah, at least you can relax and not worry about your Logic or your projects. We all face the same thing hahaha

I opened your project and yes, it's shorter. I tried and created a new empty project and it's the same. What I noticed is that Logic assumes the end of the last note(s) as the end of the region. That being said, if you stop your MIDI before the Auto Punch ends, Logic will create a shorter region. If you play a note or chord that extends pass the Auto Punch, Logic will create a region that stops at the end of the Auto Punch, cutting the MIDI note(s) as well.

Thanks for checking this out.

I hadn't thought of this -- so, it's cropping the clip automatically to the end of the last note that was played inside the auto-punch region. So even if I played more notes after the region, it doesn't matter, those are ignored (due to being outside the punch region) and then the clip crops to the end of the last note inside the region.

There is a sort of logic (haha) to that behavior, I suppose, but to my way of thinking, the better (and certainly the more expected behavior, in my case anyway) would be that it creates a clip the same length as the punch region...

but maybe I'm just applying Cycle logic to the Punch functionality, hrmmm.

One thing worth noting is that this behavior will override the normal Cycle behavior -- that is, if Cycle is On but you also have the punch regions, this behavior of cropping to the end of the last note will still happen. Normally, cycle mode for MIDI means the clip will always end up being the length of the cycle region, but with punch on, the punch behavior interestingly takes precedence over it.

Well, thanks for checking! It's definitely good to at least understand how the program is making its decisions / performing these actions, as I can now use them (or navigate around them) as needed.

cheers,

-M