Midi not working?

DenisL

Hi. I just purchased Logic Pro today so am a new user. I have a Roland Duo Capture EX midi connected to my PC. The audio settings in Logic Pro show the Roland as output and input devices so it is definitely seeing the device. However, when I insert an External Midi track, and try using my keyboard (Yamaha Portable Grand), I don’t get any sound. I also am not getting any midi activity display as I should be seeing. I made sure that I downloaded the correct drivers for the Roland.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do to make this work? Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Denis

How about MIDI connection between your Yamaha keyboard and your Mac?

Is it done via the Roland interface as well? Or is it connected otherwise?

Have you tried with a Logic software instrument, such as the EXS24?

On the assigned track/channelstrip, does the record button enabled?

I had looked at the manual but did not see this. I just followed the instructions as you suggested. I was able to complete the steps, but did not get a confirmation sound as per step number 9. I'm still not able to record via the Roland interface.

I’ve done a lot of research over the last couple of days including looking at manuals, help desk, etc. So, my Roland audio interface works. It shows up in the audio devices. I can record guitar and voice, but not keyboard, so I assume that the problem lies with the Yamaha keyboard. I’ve downloaded the most recent driver for it, but it hadn’t been updated for a while which is why I assume that the keyboard still does not show up or work on Logic Pro.

So, one last question. Will the keyboard show up if I connect it directly to the Mac (I would have to buy a different cable), or am I stuck buying a new midi keyboard?

Thanks.

Things to consider:

-Recording audio from your keyboard into Logic is different from recording MIDI from your keyboard into Logic.

-Logic treats MIDI and audio as two different/distinct things, which implies distinct connections.

-Connecting your keyboard directly in your computer (via USB) transmits only MIDI from your keyboard to your Mac and Logic.

-To record both (MIDI and audio) from your keyboard in Logic, the easiest approach would be using the External instrument plugin.

Thanks. I’m not sure I understand your last point. I understand that connecting my keyboard directly to the computer will mean I’m using midi only. What is the benefit of having audio capability with the keyboard? Is it that I can record the sounds directly from my keyboard and not have to use the Logic Pro library?

Also, it seems that I would still need to connect my keyboard to my audio interface in order to get audio. Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help.

The only benefit (which for some might be important) to connect the audio output from your Yamaha piano in your computer (via your Roland Duo Capture audio device) would be to capture/record the Yamaha Portable Grand's own sound into Logic.

If you are happy with the sounds you have from the virtual instruments available in Logic (or the other 3rd party plugins you might have), you don't need to connect your Yamaha's audio output to your computer (or to your Roland audio device).

I am personnally using my old Yamaha CLP-50, but for the keyboard feel, not for its sounds (which is definitely not at par with the plugins I use).

Perfect. I’m quite happy with the sounds available in Logic, and I love the feel of my Yamaha, so all is good. I’m learning about the Logic software via learning modules in You Tube, and I’ve already noticed some things that I have to do differently while using midi, such as bouncing midi tracks to audio to use some of the functions such as fade, but that’s ok.

Thanks again for replying. I very much appreciate having someone with experience providing help :)

You can fade with automation too, even on Instrument (MIDI etc) based tracks, so check out volume automation.

It's not as simple from a beginners perspective as the fade tools for audio regions.

But, ultimately learning automation is a really valuable tool as you can also automate hundreds of controls across instruments and audio fx (i.e. if you wanted to alter the tone of an instrument as you play, such as filter controls for synths etc.).

Just remember to note that there's two types of automation, one that sits in the timeline and doesn't link to the regions you have there (Track Automation), and the other which sits within the regions and will move with them (Region Automation).

Thanks for the feedback. I saw that yesterday as I was trying to figure out how to fade on a midi track. I tried it but assume I didn’t follow the instructions properly as it didn’t work, so bounced the track instead. I’ll give it another shot as it sounds like a useful tool.

Yeah it's well worth learning, just make sure the track is set to read the automation when you play back. Which will be detailed in any tutorials you're following.

You can also automate the master channel too, to create an entire fade of all your tracks, so you don't have to do them all individually. Many times i just record the automation and slide the fader down myself, then go back in afterwards and draw a straight line that spans across my movements so it's nice and smooth.

Also, with automation you can control channel/track parameters as well as plugin parameters, so you may find that you have access to 2 different volume levels, one is the track volume, the other will be the actual instrument/plugin volume, generally you're best to automate track volume for fades.