Axiom Pro61 Hyper Control workaround w/ High Sierra?

robinloops
Go to solution Solved by Julianbassk,

I have been using a workaround for hpyer control (for axoim Pro61) with LPX for a few years now. Basically you manually place the 'Axiom Pro.bundle' in Logic's MIDI device plugins folder and hyper control works.

It got quite a bit glitchier when I updated to Sierra. I am concerned about it no long working if I upgrade to High Sierra. Does anyone that uses the workaround have it working with High Sierra?

• 2 months later...

In case anyone has this question in the future here’s the answer.

So with Mojave coming out, I decided to make the move to high Sierra and take my chances (I don’t like to be more than one os behind). Everything works fine. The workaround works fine. I imagine it will continue to work with Logic Pro x regardless of the os.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm also trying to configure the Axiom Pro 61 (1st gen) with Logic Pro X but my problem's more basic so I thought you could help. My keyboard's not working at all.

I haven't used it in a few years since it was at my parent's place and I was across the ocean but finally I retrieved it. I'm using MacOS 10.13.6. Since it's been a few years I saw that there's no longer a driver for my OS but heard that it could work anyways. I tried pretty much every setup I could think of. I tried Controller-->Setup. I tried using the MIDI environment but didn't really know what I was doing. I tried Audio MIDI Setup under Mac utilities. I tried the app MIDI monitor but I can't even get any test signals to show (strangely I got one note to show once).

Maybe it's a hardware problem? I'd be so grateful if you had any ideas.

There is a file you have to download that contains the plugin that makes it work. I will find later and post where to find it.

Basically you download the file, place it in the plugin folder and the rest of setup is pretty easy. Mine is second generation but I believe it works with both 1st and 2nd.

Had trouble emailing so I put it on dropbox.

Take the Axiompro.bundle file and put it in this folder [/Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/PlugIns/MIDI Device Plug-ins] by right clicking logicpro app icon and selecting view package contents. Then to contents>plugins>MIDI device plugins. Once done, it will show up in logic cotrnol surfaces setup utility.

My first one died. Picked up another one like new for $100. If the screen lights up but doesn’t show any text as it boots up, it might be dead. There are videoes about the problem (a specific part that goes bad) and how to fix it. Far too technical for me (involves more than just swapping a bad cap or so).

• 5 months later...
The bad news is this workaround stopped working in 10.4.5.

ah, bummer - too bad, I really dig the control surface. got it on goodwill for $30, mint condition.

I'm thinking about rolling back to an earlier version of logic to check this out. Sent you a PM reply.

Good news. It appears to be working in 10.4.6. So apparently it was not a compatibility issue and was related to the broken control surface features. Had a tiny suspicion it might work again when I saw they had fixed some broken control surface stuff (in 10.4.6).

Anyway haven’t tested it but it fired right up after placing the axiom bundle in the midi device plugins folder.

Thanks, robinloops - I had that same list prior to placing the Axiom Pro.bundle file in the logic midi devices plugins folder. the issue is, and remains that it's still in italics, and cant be added. add button remains grayed out. i can go to preferences-->control surfaces and use logics automap feature, but again it only uses basic midi controller mappings, and i cant control any plugins. still digging around for that ever elusive Axiom.bundle file. every link is 5 years old and broken.

thanks for all your help!

Well, lookie here! Another thread on this forum had the file attached. I'll attach it here as well, in case anyone runs into this. I deleted my logic preferences file just to be on the safe side, placed the Axiom.bundle in the MIDI Device Plug-ins folder (applications, right click on Logic Pro X, show package contents), started logic, turned on my Axiom 25 2nd gen and boom there it is. Everything works, and I can control devices as intended!

1625909915_ScreenShot2019-07-11at8_57_05PM.thumb.png.32bf2fc4ab2745b6845e46cd02c061e4.png

Axiom.bundle.zip

And the best part is you can pick them up for pennies since they are technically discontinued and no longer work (without a workaround many don’t know exists). I got my first for $200 and a second one when that broke, for $100 that was almost brand new!!!

Of course at this point, it’s a gamble as they could stop working (forever) at any point. I’ve gotten a lot of mileage from the two I’ve had. $300 for about 5 or 6 years of use, for a controller I couldn’t replace for less than $400 to $500 (or so) isn’t bad.

• 1 month later...
I have a Axiom Pro 61 and I’m on macOS 10.14.6 with the latest Logic Pro update. The issue I’m having is when I launch Logic it seems to work, but the screen turns blank. Any suggestions to fix it? The only way I can fix it is if I delete the keyboard from the control setup and add it again every time I launch Logic.. so frustrating...

It started out working perfectly with 10.4.6 but after a time it started having issues again (which is strange). I haven’t had time to try and figure out why. May just be end of life for it as a control surface.

It still works as a generic midi device so I’m using it as just a keyboard at the moment. If I can’t get the control surface features to work again, I plan to use the faders and rotaries as ‘smart controls’.

Probably be another month or so before I get back to working in the studio again.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/8/2019 at 2:04 PM, robinloops said:

Sorry I didn’t get back to it sooner.

This is what worked for me. But I can’t find a download link for the file that works anymore.

If you pm me with your email I will send the file to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBdsqqBPsJM&app=desktop

Hi! What you do now in 2023 with your controller? still working? i Try to fix my Axiom 25 but doesn't works in Logic Pro, im in OS 10.4 any idea ?

Thanks in advance

I gave up. It stopped working with one of the last updates (that I was able to do on my non metal card iMac) and I decided it was time to retire it as a control surface. Not 100% sure it didn't start working again with an update after that because I haven't used the main music system for several years now (went back to studying classical guitar during the pandemic and haven't jumped back into audio production yet). 

The axiom is still useful as a midi keyboard (last time I checked) and still sends generic midi if I decide to use some smart controls. I also kind of plan to keep using the axiom as a midi keyboard (love the action of the keys) for as long as I can (probably eventually end up using straight midi out once it can't even be seen as a usb device). I will also never again but a hardware controller that doesn't have native logic control output without having to use a third party mapping plug in like the axiom does. My bfc1000 still works perfectly and it's the first lowest budget controller I've had (but is has a native logic control mode built in to the hardware). 

It feels like I'm going to be digging up dinosaur bones when I do turn on the system and try to get things going again. Time for a new computer (MacBook Air) and new controller (probably will get an iPad to use Logic Remote).