More than 128 programs needed [SOLVED]!

Xigwon

Hello! My Kurzweil SP6 has like 1000 different instrument sounds on it. One of them is called "P-Bass", which is instrument number 212.

If I start recording in LPX, and select an instrument (using the Kurzweil favorites tab), LPX records it as a program change automation, which is great.

However, there are only 128 available program changes...so whenever I select an instrument whose number is greater than 128, LPX just performs a mod-12 on it and saves that number. So whenever I select the P-Bass (program 212), it records it as 84 (212 - 128)...and program 84 is the instrument "Water Buffalo", which is NOT what I want.

If I hit record and select P-Bass, it will play in P-Bass for as long as I keep playing. But if I pause and play, LPX switches the instrument over to Water Buffalo. This makes editing basically impossible. I understand I could just record/bounce the P-bass to audio, but is there a way to access any programs over 128?

Any ideas?

Edited by Xigwon

These might get you started:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7631947

https://logic-users-group.com/threads/setting-up-program-bank-changes-to-external-triton-rack-help.7848/

Years ago I created a multi-instrument in Logic's environment and accommodate my Yamaha synth's hundreds of internal sounds. It was a pain but I got it to work. Basically each bank in the multi-instrument held 128 sounds. Bank 1 = 1-128, Bank 2 = 129+... At least that's how I recall it. With any luck you can find a text file with all your program names as this will save you from having to type them all in by hand, as I did.

Since that time I use either Logic's internal instruments or those from 3rd party developers. Bank/program changes no longer play a role in my studio. That said, I hope some of this helps you out.

Jim

I believe......

In the sp6 there should be a parameter called bank mode. Make sure this is set to CTL 0.

Then in the inspector of the track there is a check box with program number and bank below it... Set the bank to 1 and the Program change to 84 or whatever number you want... each time you check / uncheck the box - it will send a bank/PC message to the SP6...

I believe......

In the sp6 there should be a parameter called bank mode. Make sure this is set to CTL 0.

Then in the inspector of the track there is a check box with program number and bank below it... Set the bank to 1 and the Program change to 84 or whatever number you want... each time you check / uncheck the box - it will send a bank/PC message to the SP6...

That did it, thank you so much! It was in the Show Automation of the Editor (not the inspector), but it was there nonetheless!

Thanks again!!

In conclusion:

If a desired MIDI instrument’s program number is over 128 (causing Logic to give you an incorrect program number), open the track editor and show the region’s automation. Remove any automation from “Bank LSB.” Set “Bank MSB” to (Z - Y) / 128, where Z is the desired program number and Y is the program number Logic is giving you.