new logic user from PT8LE confused on panning

paulctorbert

hey.... I am very pleased with ProTools panning, it works like a mixing desk(console/mixer, whatever you want to call that big expensive thingie in studios with knobs and faders)....

now all I get in Logic Pro X is diminished audio(panned right) or increased audio(panned left)....

I have ALL channel strips set to STEREO(or mono), and ALL Busses and Plugins set accordingly(i.e. if channel is stereo, buss and plugin is stereo. OR if channel strip is mono, then the buss and plugins are mono)....

doesn't matter if I use the "right click" to set Stereo Pan or Stereo Balance, the result is EXACTLY the same, diminished audio as I pan right, increased audio as I pan left....

the pan law on the project is at -3db compensated......

now what do I do ???? I am super willing to read/watch ANY links you have that will help me Solve the Problem......

Thank You!!!!

Respectfully,

paul c torbert

did YOU read my text that says "doesn't matter if I use the "right click" to set Stereo Pan or Stereo Balance, the result is EXACTLY the same, diminished audio as I pan right, increased audio as I pan left...."

yes i have read ALL LOGIC and APPLE docs on PAN(in Logic Pro X)...... and i have spent hours of time scouring the different forums on the web...... i am 62, its not like i started doing this last night..... i LOVE reading product manuals and finding the "secret nuggets" of info to help me..... and LOGIC PRO X has a few, i dig it !!!!!

AND, that doesnt explain very well, WHY a mono channel has the same non-panning behavior as a stereo channel.....(cabling to monitoring amp and speakers is correct too).

doesnt matter if the channel "post pan" or whatever..... ALL pan behaviors are the same, ALL efforts result ONLY in a stereo balance type behavior.....

this is a "preconfigured imac" with LogicProX..... maybe THEIR install was flawed somehow(?).......

i cannot get a different behavior from the PAN pot (on the Logic Pro X graphical depiction of a channel strip..... i have tried every forum on the web.... this problem is "unique".

really, i am Stoked on all the Logic Pro X features and workflow style !!!!!.... but this ONE Issue..... dang......

and to be clear, i have a MOOG MODEL D (MONO) into a MONO input on UA Apollo Quad 8 interface.....

in Logic Pro X, its on a MONO channel strip..... with MONO delay via a guitar footpedal "printed on record".... NO BUSS or AUX needed....

the Mono channel strip in Logic wont pan.....

how simple can i make it ????

oh, and timing IS perfect...... First Mix Project with this new system...... exasperated face.....

rudeness on this forum won't get you very far; this is a great group of people, and we all try to help each other out (and get help).

all DAWs are based on the same basic functions & features, but also... differ. so you can adapt to the differences in logic, or go back to PT. my suggestion: keep an open mind, develop a comfortable workflow... and make music; we're all doing it, and there are lots of pros on the forum.

logic X is a great DAW, a great tool. have fun with it.

When you right click on the pan control and select Stereo Pan you need to adjust the width of the stereo field by dragging on the small white handles on either side of the green part, otherwise the pan behaviour won’t be different to the balance control. It does actually allow for fairly accurate stereo width and placement, though I understand it is quite different to the PT way.

I’ve also just noticed you’re talking about an external instrument now, so my post may not apply. You may need to control pannning using Region Automation, which is MIDI based, as opposed to Track Automation - I hope that makes sense. I’m an oldie too and I can say changing DAWs can be very frustrating.

hey.... I am very pleased with ProTools panning, it works like a mixing desk(console/mixer, whatever you want to call that big expensive thingie in studios with knobs and faders)....

now all I get in Logic Pro X is diminished audio(panned right) or increased audio(panned left)....

I have ALL channel strips set to STEREO(or mono), and ALL Busses and Plugins set accordingly(i.e. if channel is stereo, buss and plugin is stereo. OR if channel strip is mono, then the buss and plugins are mono)....

doesn't matter if I use the "right click" to set Stereo Pan or Stereo Balance, the result is EXACTLY the same, diminished audio as I pan right, increased audio as I pan left....

the pan law on the project is at -3db compensated......

now what do I do ???? I am super willing to read/watch ANY links you have that will help me Solve the Problem......

Thank You!!!!

Respectfully,

paul c torbert

I don't think you´re clicking it right....maybe your index finger is up your ass to far?

THANK YOU KeithSmith !!!! i will check into Region Automation Panning.....(thats for midi????)

Apologies to Everyone who mis-reads my posts.... FYI, if i actually get rude, you will get some type of "dumb name", and that rarely happens(only face-to-face).....

so its just my poor way of explaining things, i will work on that.... again, my apologies......

one MONO audio track, with ALL fx printed during recording.... no midi.... no auxes.... no bussing.......

it wont pan.....

if you read my posts, i am really wanting to learn..... i know Sonar(cakewalk too, from days of old), Nuendo(cubase too), Live(ableton), and PT(versions 7.x - 10).....

i now have LOGIC PRO X and think its GREAT...... and i kind of mentioned that before.....

i promise, i have been through the WHOLE "this is panning concepts in Logic"(in the forums too)..... EVERYTHING IN LOGIC is Great...... seriously......

something is amiss..... it IS most likely MY shortsightedness in ONE little place..... but i cant find the solution...... even the DirMix plug has the EXACT SAME BEHAVIOR...... maybe its time to quit, hahahahah, not.

i certainly dont need FISHERKING misinterpreting my frustration as rudeness, nor pointing out the obvious to me as if i were an impatient child.... and disregarding my subdued enthusiasm for LOGIC PRO X..... but, they are more than welcome to dismantle my frustration or add to it if they like......

i laugh when people call DOS(the OS), Dose...... i remember CPM, the OS (which Billy plagiarized to help create DOS).....

i guess i need to buy David's book......

i certainly dont need FISHERKING misinterpreting my frustration as rudeness, nor pointing out the obvious to me as if i were an impatient child.... and disregarding my subdued enthusiasm for LOGIC PRO X..... but, they are more than welcome to dismantle my frustration or add to it if they like......

there are no nuances in text, so a post on a forum says only what it says; if i misread your frustration as rudeness, i apologize. similarly, be more careful with your posts... and you will get the best help here (this is my favorite online forum, because of the people on it).

besides, (the internet being what it is), for all we know, you are an impatient child... :mrgreen:

agreed..... and i hope you accept MY apology..... i am impatiently scurrying to fix what is supposed to be a "more nuanced" and enhanced version of panning..... it seems as if its a "worldwide plot" to make me lose hair..... lets just say we can leave the "cloak" on the impatient child facade(ok, you busted me....)..... please?

Paul, I included the post about Region Based Automation because I’m not sure if you’re sending out MIDI from Logic and recording the audio from the Moog to an audio track. If that’s the case, MIDI control of the panning may be a solution.

If its just a case of panning a stereo audio track then the first post applies (you can make it a narrow stereo field as I described if you like). A mono audio track should pan as expected with the pan knob turning. Check the format of the channel strip (a single circle for mono or two circles for stereo).

As fisherking says, people on the forum are a generally helpful bunch, it isn’t always easy to explain or understand Logic problems when written down unlike being with someone in front of a computer, of course !

i am going to try the midi thing with Region Automation..... i have uno circle on the channel strip meaning,mono.... even tried "split stereo"(two mono), no workee....

always the same behavior..... weird..... its like i am listening to a monoblock amp and two speakers both with mono source.....

if i pull up A Wizard A True Star in iTunes, on the same monitoring system, its in glorious stereo..... so, "whats your problem, sonny" is truely vexing me......