Event Type for Scripter

Angelos58

In the EventType.js inside LPX i don't see any correspondence for Meta Event or Command Key.

How can I create a script with Meta Event or Command Key?

PS

Is there a more complete list of Event Type?

Meta Events

Meta Events are used for things like track-names, lyrics and cue-points, which don't result in MIDI messages being sent, but are still useful components of a MIDI file.

I'm not clear as to why you're wanting to have a Meta Event when it doesn't result in a MIDI message being sent. The whole propose of a MIDI FX plug-in is to do something with a MIDI message, Note or CC, but if there's no Notes or CC (as in a meta event), how would that be useful?

Is there something in mind that you're designing now?

well personally I think it could be very useful to have javascript control over meta events in LPX. Or some other things like being able to generate key commands in Scripter that actually can control LPX in some fashion. I would DEFINITELY be able to make use of that. If I could place a javascript before the sequencer I would definitely also use that! If we can generate midi and feed it to the environment, pre-sequencer...wow... wish it could...

But as of now anyway, any data generated in Scripter cannot leave the channel, all midi derived by any plugin will be sandboxed to the channel (it can only be sent over IAC to get out).

So there is no point in allowing Scripter to generate meta events, if they can't leave the sandbox anyway. Can't get to the environment or any other part of LPX. the midi fx slot can only generate midi that will feed more plugins coming after it and ending with a single software instrument that eats all midi and it ends there.

well personally I think it could be very useful to have javascript control over meta events in LPX. Or some other things like being able to generate key commands in Scripter that actually can control LPX in some fashion. I would DEFINITELY be able to make use of that. If I could place a javascript before the sequencer I would definitely also use that! If we can generate midi and feed it to the environment, pre-sequencer...wow... wish it could...

But as of now anyway, any data generated in Scripter cannot leave the channel, all midi derived by any plugin will be sandboxed to the channel (it can only be sent over IAC to get out).

So there is no point in allowing Scripter to generate meta events, if they can't leave the sandbox anyway. Can't get to the environment or any other part of LPX. the midi fx slot can only generate midi that will feed more plugins coming after it and ending with a single software instrument that eats all midi and it ends there.

Meta Events generate no MIDI messages so what would you use a meta event to do what?

If you want a marker, create a MIDI region that generates a C-0 note, then act on that note within the scripter. If fact, with that model interchange scripter I wrote, I actually do that. It's not a note that gets play but a "marker" to do something, in my case it initializes code to generate random chord progressions.