Does anyone use Logic for writing songs?

kerochan

I use Logic fro recording and arranging songs once they are written on my cassette recorder, does anyone actually start writing songs from scratch with Logic?

I press record on the cassette, thats it.

Do you turn on your interface, have a mic plugged in and a guitar/keyboard, have the computer on, Logic open etc??

I almost always start writing in Logic. (I should go back to writing with kbd, pencil and paper again for variety).

I used to leave my set-up on all the time.. Twice I had a dream about writing a song, woke up and worked it out with Logic, before I forgot it. Now with my finances, and and price of electricity in NYC, I shut everything off.

I would suppose each person, might create differently.. maybe just record into their kbd, if it lets them do it. sometimes write down the chords, and lyrics on paper, and work on it later. If I can't remember the melody, I guess it wasn't that good to begin with..

I used to find Logic rather intimidating and cumbersome to set up when inspiration struck. However, after a while (and lots of study, practice and learning) I got hang of how to use it efficiently. Nowadays, it is definitely an incontournable.

To me Logic is such a terrific lab to experiment quick and easy in so many creativity aspects.

Sometime using the Apple Music Memo app is also very handy.

seems... practical, ie any work you do can be built upon, expanded, replaced, enhanced. why not use logic? and what's a 'cassette'...?

How old are you fisherking?

old enough to google 'cassette' and learn about the medium (and smart enough to have transferred most of my music from that format to a hard drive around '99-2000.). that old... :mrgreen:

I use Logic fro recording and arranging songs once they are written on my cassette recorder, does anyone actually start writing songs from scratch with Logic?

I press record on the cassette, thats it.

Do you turn on your interface, have a mic plugged in and a guitar/keyboard, have the computer on, Logic open etc??

You don't need Logic for that, your cassette recorder is just fine to save your ideas, but eventually , you're going to need Cubase, ProTools, Reaper, Logic etc... to finally create your song.

But... on the other hand, if you're sequencer supports it, you can create generative music using your computer.

In my case, I can generate random chord progressions using the model interchange method. For me that's possible because of Logic Pro X Scripter I wrote.

Here's an example of that.

The other day, I was picking out some notes on my guitar, and I thought 'ok, this has a nice, Renaissance feel to it, maybe I should get it down before it flies out of my brain?' So, I used 'Music Memos' on my iPad. My mics need to be moved and setup before I can use Logic for acoustic recording. If I am writing something on the keyboard, then, yes, I use Logic. My main template has piano, B3, Synthmaster, Omnisphere, Alchemy, Forest Kingdom/ERA Medieval Legends, so I have a huge range of options to work with, there. I have at least a hundred doodles that have potential to be fleshed out. The template also has mics for acoustic recording, as well as Scuffham Amps and Amplitube for electric guitars and bass.

Thank you for all your replies.

I have set up a mic near my desk to pick up the voice and guitar, I will start writing directly into Logic from next year, I am finishing off writing an album on cassette for now which I have started already.

I have to start writing in Logic as months and months away from it working on cassette means I am forgetting many functions in Logic to be honest.