MIDI Setup Questions

Integrator

Greetings. I’d be grateful for any coaching that might help me correctly setup MIDI recording in Logic Pro X. The thing I'm unable to do in Logic is record MIDI and convert the recording to audio. When I "Bounce In Place" the resulting audio region is just a flat line/no audio?

The kinds of things I'm scratching my head over include:

- how to correctly setup Audio MIDI Setup in OS X. Is Audio MIDI Setup even part of the equation with what I'm trying to do?

- whether or not I need to use MIDI cables between the 18i8 and the Triton? I thought I read that MIDI is sent and received via the Triton's USB cable, making MIDI cables unnecessary?

- FYI: I have the I/O of the MIDI cables reversed, ie... the MIDI "in" on the Triton becomes the MIDI "out" on the 18i8. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

Gear:

- Mac Pro 5,1 running 10.13.6

- Logic Pro X 10.4.1

- Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

- Korg Triton Extreme

I'll include some random photos/screenshots that might offer clues, and I'd be happy to provide any others you might request.

Thanks a zillion, in advance!

IMG_1189.thumb.jpg.37238994f91551aa8f78913c73df8cf9.jpg

IMG_1191.thumb.jpg.38b7e342959a82dc691d7fad9ea2dc03.jpg

IMG_1192.thumb.jpg.a2207fb11fddf6f1f297fe1fce15ce73.jpg

699390078_ScreenShot2018-07-19at1_21_37PM.thumb.jpg.fede503cf86cd52cff82ab60e7ce9924.jpg

465187199_ScreenShot2018-07-19at12_42_34PM.jpg.4425828040c9407014406b331a8f913d.jpg

The thing I'm unable to do in Logic is record MIDI and convert the recording to audio. When I "Bounce In Place" the resulting audio region is just a flat line/no audio?

- short answer- impossible - you can not bounce your external Triton keyboard as the sound is coming from Triton's "audio out" and can not be transferred through a midi connection. You need to re-record the Triton with an audio interface. Midi cable only transfer midi data

- yes, you can transform Midi to Audio when using an internal Logic instrument (bounce in place) (because everything is "in the box"

- exception: some external keyboard also have a plugin-interface that could be bounced.

- how to correctly setup Audio MIDI Setup in OS X. Is Audio MIDI Setup even part of the equation with what I'm trying to do?

- record your Triton audio with your audio interface

- whether or not I need to use MIDI cables between the 18i8 and the Triton? I thought I read that MIDI is sent and received via the Triton's USB cable, making MIDI cables unnecessary?

- yes, newer keyboards can send/recieve midi through USB. You don't need a midi cable then. Again, you can record record/play midi notes then but you can not record audio though. You need to record the audio out of the Triton.