How to organize Logic's own, not my original, patches

gilmo
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I've been trying to find a way to readily access favorite slowly-developing pads provided with Logic, not my edits of them or my original patches. I'm still stumped after a couple of hours online, including at Apple Support, poring over the manual, and reading a post 3 years ago here that seems to pertain to user-created patches.

I'd simply like to be able to see these favorites in a folder in the Patch Library so I can quickly audition and apply them. There must be a simple way eluding me, not for the first time...

Create a folder or folders in the finder here (see pic), name it "slowly-developing pads" or whatever, then in Logic, call up one of those patches you like, from the setting dropdown menu on the channel, select "save channel strip setting as". Select the folder you created and hit save. When you open the library you will see the folder you created and the new patch you saved inside it. Remember that folders will not show up in the library until they are populated with patches.

1813339394_ScreenShot2018-07-23at6_56_35PM.thumb.png.0d0ca80cdc65daec1b5f1718162d275c.png

I've been trying to find a way to readily access favorite slowly-developing pads provided with Logic, not my edits of them or my original patches. I'm still stumped after a couple of hours online, including at Apple Support, poring over the manual, and reading a post 3 years ago here that seems to pertain to user-created patches.

In general, the preset stuff is in the system folder, and the user stuff is in the user version of the location, which keeps factory content and user content separate nicely, for good reason.

So just go into the system folders where Logic stores it's content, and create folders and move stuff as you'd like.

/Library/Application Support/Logic

Bear in mind if you want to do this, you will likely confuse Logic's method of checking the factory content and downloading additional content, so as long as you are ok with that (and have system backups!) then the worst you can do is break some content. And if you stray too far by moving stuff around, eventually you may break Logic too, so be careful.

Thanks so much to both of you. So des99, it seems that if I follow the advice of jtnyc, I'll be working in the safe playpen of my User version, but that I'd best avoid the Library/ApplicationSupport neighborhood. Is that correct?

• Solution

I would recommend, for an easy life, you leave the factory files alone, and make whatever changes you want in your user area, in the location show by jtnyc above, yes.

Your user files will show up in he patch browser just like factory content, so create whatever Favourite folders etc you need and copy or save your favourites there.

This also has the advantage that your own files will be backed up from your user area, and reinstalling Logic and it's factory content won't touch your custom files either.

Thanks so much to both of you, jtnyc and des99. You revealed much more than I'd hoped about Logic lore as well as this particular issue. Thanks also to the equally knowledgable and patient folk who provide this forum :D