Screensets Change Unexpectedly

DanRad

I'm on 10.3.3 Sometimes my screensets just change. I've not unlocked them.. they just resize and stuff.. then I close the sequence, reopen it and it's as it should be.

Anyone else experience this? Any solution other than the workaround I mentioned?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. For example, I'll hit "2" for screen set two and it just has lost it's usual layout. I haven't noticed if it's more than one screen set when it does.. I"ll check that. But then I reboot the sequence (Don't need to shut Logic down) and then it's fine... very strange.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been using Screensets since the very first version of Logic and I have been using dual screens since Logic 8. I have never had any issue with them that wasn't due to pilot error e.g. forgetting to lock screenset. Perhaps I have just been incredibly lucky - that would be a first.

While on a personal level it's good to hear that you and DanRad have been lucky (only until now for DanRad), screensets issues on multiple displays are well documented. A quick google search will reveal tons of reports on those issues. Here's one example:

Multiple Monitor Screensets not staying put

I very rarely use Logic with multiple displays myself. On the other hand I've been helping Logic Pro users for over 20 years and I regularly get people like DanRad in this thread complaining about screenset issues. Like with DanRad here, I ask if they use multiple displays, and the answer is always yes.

There is simple test that will determine wether or not your issue, DanRad, has to do with using multiple screens or not. Try working with a single screen for a while, and see if you can reproduce the issue?

Yes. Thanks for all the help.. The issue is so random and I can go days without it happening... so I would have to create new versions of sequences with different screen set settings for the single screen set up. I'm going to play around with the suggestion of putting the Floating Transport on the bottom and see if that helps at all.

Thanks again for all the great input and support.

dan

for what is it worth and normally I don't comment on this issue, but I am not a fan of screen sets. Sometimes i go to lock them and they don't say lock but are and other time I unlock them and they still say locked but I can change them. I too have always use multiple monitors - I use screen sets for various reasons but am not dependent on them based upon their unpredictable behavior. I set things and then go back and it isn't set the way I thought - cockpit error - maybe - but unlikely. Reason I commented was to give you a degree of gratification that there are others that feel screen sets don't behave as expected from time to time...and certainly in my case with multiple monitors. OS related - maybe.

Thanks for all the great input. For me, screen sets have always been an invaluable part of my work flow. AND, they have performed flawlessly for 20+ years. When I write for big band, I have screen sets for "Trombones" (#7 since there are 7 positions) and Saxes (#5 since there are 5 saxes) etc...

This new issue (and not catastrophic) has only been happening for a few months. It doesn't end up in "tiling" where the screens overlay each other, more the sizing and content of a screen set arbitrarily changing even though the SS is locked. Harumph!

• 4 years later...

A bit out of date as this thread is from 2018. I have discovered one of the reasons for the screenset mess. I have experienced same issues from time to time using two displays. All session's screensets, not mater the date of creation got messed up without apparent reason. Today I have discovered that if you use to have the Dock hidden and for some reason you disable the hidden Dock function then all your Logic projects will mess up while the Dock is shown. Turn back the Dock to hidden and all your logic session will look correctly as you saved them.

Regards

PD. In my case I always have the Dock in the bottom, can't speak about the behavior  when  the Dock is set to the right or left side of the screen.

Edited by elcrepusculo2015