Guitar preset panning problem

darkreaver

Hello!

Not quite sure I chose the correct subforum, but I'm looking for some help and troubleshooting regarding the recording of some guitar tracks in my project.

I'm currently tracking some rhythm guitar for my project and I just browsed through the presets and I actually found one I really liked the sound of, namely the 'Heavy Wide Room'-preset (the project is some kind of ugly sounding metal with loads of reverb, so with some EQ and a little tweaking the preset sounds perfect ;) ).

HOWEVER: I want to record two tracks, one panned left (-54) and one panned right (+54).

The problem is: I create two tracks with the same preset. Then, when I pan track 1 to the left it sounds perfect, but when I pan track 2 to the right it sounds totally different from track 1. Kind of less "wide" and less "roomy", smaller and weaker, sort of. My best guess is it has something to do with sends/bus or something? I've been fooling around looking "everywhere", but I just can't figure it out. I'm by no means 'pro' at LXP or music production in general so I'm at a loss here. :)

Long story short: Two identical tracks with Heavy Wide Room preset. Panned to the left it sounds perfect, panned to the right it sounds sh*t.

Anyone? Anyone even understand what I mean? :)

I am not at the studio to check about the preset you are talking about, but since you mention about sends, chances are that you are trying to pan left/right signal from what is already set to (a preset) stereo. Therefore, other aspects in the mix are interfering with the new stereo image you are trying to achieve.

Perhaps posting a screen capture of your tracks and mixer displaying the involved tracks/channelstrips could be helpful.

The "Heavy Wide Room" patch is a Track Stack with 2 different guitar amp tracks, already panned left and right. You obviously like the left panned amp better...

Maybe. But when I pan the main track and also both the amps it sounds very different from left to right.

I'm on vacation right now, but I'll give more info and some screenshots when I'm back. Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
When you "pan" (It's a stereo balance knob in fact) the main track, It sounds different because when you pan left you only hear Amp1, while panning right will let you hear only the Amp2 track.

Ok, maybe I'm just stupid (most probably!), but I have centered both amps in the stack, so they should both be equally "panned" at zero, but when I try pan to right and left on the stack main track (Gitar 1 and Gitar 2) they still sound different. Shouldn't this solve the problem with hearing only one of the amp when I pan to either side, then?

I've tried everything (that I can think of...), but I'm at a loss here. Well well

Here is a screenshot (never mind the slight volume differences, thats not the problem):

https://imgur.com/a/r1Vv3dN

https://i.imgur.com/6mvYZdI.png

...I have centered both amps in the stack, so they should both be equally "panned" at zero, but when I try pan to right and left on the stack main track (Gitar 1 and Gitar 2) they still sound different. Shouldn't this solve the problem with hearing only one of the amp when I pan to either side, then?

Yes, that should solve it, no idea why it doesn't I'm afraid, maybe the 2 guitar regions differ much in amplitude ? The guitar amps in Logic can sound very different depending on the strength of the input signal to them, I see you have cranked up the guitar 1 Amp head channel, which sends a stronger signal into the amps...