Quickly finding the tempo of a dropped wav file....

Bomboclotsky

Is there a way of doing this- this is assuming that the wav file tempo is consistant ie sequenced beats- i am looking to do this with some dance type crap but then adding apple loops to it(aiff) files. Then being able to generate a click- the next question is what is the cheapest way to have an audio interface that will provide click to two musician plus track seperate? I apologize if this is obvious- i am new to this....

First take that wav. and turn it into an apple loop that will allow you do what thou wilt. And as for the click just create an output that will have your seperate mix for you and your partner. Set the ouputs on your metronome (click) to your additional output- the one for the musicians.And about your interface m-audio has very affordable interfaces. :wink:

Thanks for the speedy reply- i have cracked the manual and can kind of see how this might be done- just kiddin NOPE- i see where u try and save it to an apple loop- but i am doing this on a wav file- and the option of setting it to loop-which means the loop will match the tunes tempo is not highlighted. Could i be spoon fed on this one PLE PLES PLEASE- so i have a wav file that needs to be tunred into a loop - for the purpose of being able to sync up with the metronome on the transport panel.... :?

C'mon...it's waaaay easier than that....

you can assign a keycommand to 'ajust tempo using region lenght and locators'

drop the wav file...select one bar in cycle mode...press the keycommandf and

your song is the exact tempo of the file...depending on how many measures you shpould select equal measures as loop length.

tempo exact to 1/1000th mate

Thanks for the insight and advice- but i am still lost-is that a miss type on the adive of hitting key command "f" or do u go and pick "f" in learn mode for key commad. I see where the adjust tempo using length and regions command is but when i pick a bar and cycle it tells me tempo is like 5 - so something is not right. I have tried going to the wave editor and trying to move the audio spikes to line up to the position counts- but this is not accurate. The tap tempo thing seems like it would work- but hey i can not get this to work either everytime i hit"-" it just cuts the region once and not again. Again this whole ordeal is to try and sync it up to a click and be able to drop loops or record midi data along with a a wav track that is essentially a unrelated tempo - so i need to be able to find its tempoe and i will then be able to go to sleep.... :?

Get the martin sitter video series. It deals with getting loops usable in your tracks as well as making sence of an initialy daughnting software.And as far as the other method that was mentioned yeah that works perfect for getting just the tempo but it would be advised to do the apple loop thing if you are looking for flexability in loops for track creation.

Thanks for the insight and advice- but i am still lost-is that a miss type on the adive of hitting key command "f" or do u go and pick "f" in learn mode for key commad. I see where the adjust tempo using length and regions command is but when i pick a bar and cycle it tells me tempo is like 5 - so something is not right. I have tried going to the wave editor and trying to move the audio spikes to line up to the position counts- but this is not accurate. The tap tempo thing seems like it would work- but hey i can not get this to work either everytime i hit"-" it just cuts the region once and not again. Again this whole ordeal is to try and sync it up to a click and be able to drop loops or record midi data along with a a wav track that is essentially a unrelated tempo - so i need to be able to find its tempoe and i will then be able to go to sleep.... :?

Set the cycle points to the number of bars of the imported loop & try again.

If the loop is 4 bars long, set a 4 bar cycle.

Apple loops....Aren't those limited to certain things like exporting?

Regards!

Apple Loops are great for importing into a song with set tempo. Making an apple loop out of an imported file is not gonna set the tempo to that of the loop though. In fact I wouldn't do it, I like to make loops of mine within the song they were created. What happens if you import a loop at 70 bpm into a lso set to 130 bpm & make an Apple loop? Interesting, I don't know but it sounds whacky to me.

ok in sample editor i moved left and right indicators to appropriate positions of a one bar loop. I then cycle it. It is a decent loop. I then adjust tempo and hey what do u know it syncs up. The source wav contains programmed beats- so it should be consistant right? But when i go and change the length of the region to the right- the click goes out- further on in the wave. That first bar is killer though- audio spikes lining up with position markers and all.... This tap tempo thing- i go and assign a midi key for it- i then go back to my loop- in the adjusted audio region- and tap along- then i gat an error midi syn message- i could see this working for establishing consistent time when further in the wav the click gets out. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated. Becaus i have learnt quite a bit just from the posts so far. The conversion to the apple loop thing still alludes me- because when i drag and drop the converted wav/apple loop into the arrange there is no specified tempo-and when i adjust tempo on transport nuthing happens.....So any one? what is the easiest way or is there? I am having trouble with the consistency of the sync