Why does my CPU/HD monitor indicate lots of activity when session ISN'T playing?

D.D. Jackson

I'm trying to see if I can switch to using my 2015 MacBook Pro (16 GB's of RAM running Sierra, with most of my sounds stored via USB 3.0 on an external, 1 TB Sandisk SSD) in lieu of my aging 2009 Mac Pro (32 GBs RAM, SSD drive; sounds run off of a 7200 RPM conventional hard drive), in part so I can plug into the 2015 MacBook Pro a 4K screen I've bought that isn't compatible with the 2009 Mac Pro (at least without buying for the MacPro more upgrades, etc.).

So I finally have everything set up on the 2015 MacBook Pro, and the first thing I notice on a largish virtual orchestra-oriented Logic session that previously ran acceptably on my older Mac Pro is that the MacBook Pro - in addition to choking frequently and disappointingly on playback - ALSO indicates the following sort of activity even when the session isn't playing:

2027876963_ScreenShot2018-07-27at11_41_00PM.png.bba6d10328d05076527a60ab34cff80a.png

What is going on CPU-wise, and is there anything I can do to get my 2015 MacBook Pro to run comparably well compared to my 2009 Mac Pro (at least until some new Mac Pro's come out, etc.?) One thought I had is that significant CPU is being used up to drive the 4K monitor plus 2nd monitors I have hooked up, since it presumably doesn't have a separate graphics chip, etc., etc. However, I just tried it with both monitors unplugged, using only the laptop's screen, and the CPU/HD activity remains the same (as in the attached image). Thanks for any thoughts!!

- rj

I'm trying to see if I can switch to using my 2015 MacBook Pro (16 GB's of RAM running Sierra, with most of my sounds stored via USB 3.0 on an external, 1 TB Sandisk SSD) in lieu of my aging 2009 Mac Pro (32 GBs RAM, SSD drive; sounds run off of a 7200 RPM conventional hard drive), in part so I can plug into the 2015 MacBook Pro a 4K screen I've bought that isn't compatible with the 2009 Mac Pro (at least without buying for the MacPro more upgrades, etc.).

So I finally have everything set up on the 2015 MacBook Pro, and the first thing I notice on a largish virtual orchestra-oriented Logic session that previously ran acceptably on my older Mac Pro is that the MacBook Pro - in addition to choking frequently and disappointingly on playback - ALSO indicates the following sort of activity even when the session isn't playing:

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.41.00 PM.png

What is going on CPU-wise, and is there anything I can do to get my 2015 MacBook Pro to run comparably well compared to my 2009 Mac Pro (at least until some new Mac Pro's come out, etc.?) One thought I had is that significant CPU is being used up to drive the 4K monitor plus 2nd monitors I have hooked up, since it presumably doesn't have a separate graphics chip, etc., etc. However, I just tried it with both monitors unplugged, using only the laptop's screen, and the CPU/HD activity remains the same (as in the attached image). Thanks for any thoughts!!

- rj

I'm curious, can you print out your mixer window on that session your having an issue with.

Like so...

mixer.png.378bda44b9ecac0a54a47a894e33578b.png