Sculpture overcharged by MIDI data

Jope

Another complaint about Sculpture... Here's a short snippet of a song I am working on. I took away all other tracks, effects and routing and reduced the remaining region so the malfunction still appears.

Just let it run from bar 3, 4 or 5 to the end of the region: The last note has a vibrato that is controlled by AT MIDI automation. Now run the song from bar 1 or 2: The vibrato is gone. Driving me nuts.

When you take some notes away (or mute them), everthing is fine. If you take the PB automation away, everything is fine. Use a different synth with similar MIDI control/AT/PB destination: Fine. Seems it has to do with the fact AT is set for Vib Depth Ctrl and for Ctrl A. But I can think of no reason for this occurring only for certain starting points other than some overflow error.

And this time I run out of ideas for a workaround... Slightly shifting the automation or inserting additional breakpoints doesn't help. - Sigh -

No AT Test.zip

Another complaint about Sculpture... Here's a short snippet of a song I am working on. I took away all other tracks, effects and routing and reduced the remaining region so the malfunction still appears.

Just let it run from bar 3, 4 or 5 to the end of the region: The last note has a vibrato that is controlled by AT MIDI automation. Now run the song from bar 1 or 2: The vibrato is gone. Driving me nuts.

When you take some notes away (or mute them), everthing is fine. If you take the PB automation away, everything is fine. Use a different synth with similar MIDI control/AT/PB destination: Fine. Seems it has to do with the fact AT is set for Vib Depth Ctrl and for Ctrl A. But I can think of no reason for this occurring only for certain starting points other than some overflow error.

And this time I run out of ideas for a workaround... Slightly shifting the automation or inserting additional breakpoints doesn't help. - Sigh -

Wow, that sounds like a bug to me but in the meantime I have a workaround for that and it does work. Have a listen.

BTW - do you create that Lead Guitar preset?

No AT Test Workaround.zip

Ok, you split the region and put the parts into two identical instrument tracks - it works if nothing else does, thank you.

Meanwhile I did some more experimenting. During the last note there is a full scale pitch bend up that always was audible. If you reduce the amount, the hidden vibrato returns. Weird. The effect of the PB data seems to vary depending on the starting point of playback, too. Sculpure quite often seems to act somewhat unpredictable and unprecise, but unfortunately it can't be easilly replaced for certain sounds.

Yes, I created this sound myself; in the original song there is a Pedal Board instance for fuzz and an Amp Designer in the instrument's channel strip. I create my own sounds most of the time; just in some cases when I need good results in time I use some samples (mostly for drums/percussion) or special virtual instruments like Pianoteq or the samplemodeling/audiomodeling stuff.

Ok, you split the region and put the parts into two identical instrument tracks - it works if nothing else does, thank you.

Meanwhile I did some more experimenting. During the last note there is a full scale pitch bend up that always was audible. If you reduce the amount, the hidden vibrato returns. Weird. The effect of the PB data seems to vary depending on the starting point of playback, too. Sculpure quite often seems to act somewhat unpredictable and unprecise, but unfortunately it can't be easilly replaced for certain sounds.

Yes, I created this sound myself; in the original song there is a Pedal Board instance for fuzz and an Amp Designer in the instrument's channel strip. I create my own sounds most of the time; just in some cases when I need good results in time I use some samples (mostly for drums/percussion) or special virtual instruments like Pianoteq or the samplemodeling/audiomodeling stuff.

Just curious, how did you generate the vibrato part of it?

What do you mean - you have got the sculpture setting? Vibrato can be controlled by Aftertouch. Within Sculpture, Aftertouch is selected for Vib Depth Ctrl and for CTRL A. In the Vibrato section of Sculpture (an additional LFO made for pitch modulation only) a decent "amt" value makes AT control the pitch vibrato. Since with a real guitar the pitch can only be tuned upwards by strechting the string, CTRL A (which is AT, too) is set up to slightly increase pitch so the sum of this pitching and the Vibrato section's output never goes below zero.

Oh, I just had the idea not to use the Vibrato section but a "normal" LFO instead, so there is no need to use AT for both Vib Depth Ctrl and Ctrl A - just take one LFO, route it to Pitch and set via to CtrlA (via fader set to 0.21). Vib Depth Ctrl is now set Off. Doesn't change anything...

I was playing around with your track and noticed that turning on "High Definition" in Sculpture's extended parameters section seems to fix your issue. At least on my laptop here.

Hey, wow, this does the trick! I had seen this option before, I changed it from "Basic" to "Extended" - no change; I then decided "it doesn't do anything I need, probably a matter of distortion or overtone content... " - so I didn't try the "High Definition" mode which now turns out to be the solution. (BTW it doesn't solve my other favourite source of anger - Sculputure's wrong "Glide" handling in Legato mode. Bu there is always something wrong, isn't it.)

Thanks for taking the time!