System Overload: CPU or RAM issue?

AnnalieseMG
Go to solution Solved by triplets,

Hi,

I worked with Komplete 11 in Logic Pro X, and when a substantial number of tracks were created that all used one of Komplete's instruments, I would sometimes get a 'system overload' notice when attempting playback. My device was a MacBook Pro 15" mid-July 2014: 2.5GHz quad-core intel core i7, 16GB of 1600MHz memory, 512GB storage, and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory. Does anyone know if this 'system overload' problem is a CPU or RAM issue?

I am asking as I will be buying a new MacBook Pro this week, and I am contemplating between 16GB or 32GB RAM. If the issue is about RAM, I would opt for the 32GB, however, if the above issue has nothing to do with RAM, I would go for the 16GB one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

@triplets is right, if it doesn't limit you on one thing, it will get you on another. System Overload can be a lot of things.

The single core performance on a new 2018 MBP is better than on yours, but not so much better that you can low-end the CPU speed and not have overloads when you're input-recording another VI track. Same thing on RAM. You want some margin and breathing room. You're not spending a lot of money to go just a half size larger.