Confusion over using multiple drives?

Slarty
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi All.

Forgive my perhaps juvenile question, but it has been bugging me for a while now.

The question is this:

I have 2 internal 500GB SSD's installed in my 2011 MBP, and I am considering an external drive also for recording my tracks to.

One internal SSD for system/apps etc,.......the other internal SSD for storing samples,....and the external drive for recording to (projects).

While I understand the logic of this set up (both internal drives read - while the external drive writes as I record),...I am somewhat confused about multi track recording).

If I write data to the external drive while the 2 internal drives read,...what happens when I record multiple tracks?

Surely the data which was written previously (to the external drive) will then have to be read when I multi track as I build up the project?

So, isn't the external drive therefore reading and writing at the same time when I multi track record?

I can't seem to get my head around this and make sense of the process?

So, how is it possible to have drives dedicated to one task (reading - or writing) AND build up my track as I multi track record?

Please, if anyone can explain this to me I'd be very grateful indeed.

There's really no need to keep one drive for one task (reading or writing), and that would really overcomplicate everything unnecessarily!

Yes, any drive that you save your Logic project file to will most likely do some reading (playing back pre-existing audio tracks) while it does some writing (recording the current track). But that's not a problem.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. ;)

Thanks David.

I was previously advised the 2 internal ssd's would suffice (one for system and apps - including the sample content of logic,....and the other for projects).

Sounds like this will be my approach then, and I'll use an external drive for backups.

What do you think?

I use a MBP 2011 - 16GB with 2 internal ssd's running Logic Pro X.