Plugin Order Display for Control Surfaces

papercanoe

Hello all! I am working with a SSL Nucleus 2 as a control surface with Logic Pro X. When I try to insert a plugin via the Nucleus, the order of the plugins that come up on the scribble strip seem very random. The don't follow the order that appears when choosing plugins via the Mixer window or in the plugin in manager. I would like to try to either add a favorites or be able to order them so that the plugins I use the most appear first when selecting plugins from the control surface so I don't have to go through hundreds to find the one I want to use. Does anyone know if this possible? I am guessing that it might be the same issue on many different control surfaces like a Mackie?

After digging into this more, I either 1. don't fully understand the directions given or 2. I didn't explain it quite right. I don't care about the parameter order for each plugin but rather the order of each plugin itself to choose from. I have to go through maybe 400 plugins on the control surface before the one I want to assign to the track appears. Anyone care to clarify if this is still the same process? If so I am having trouble figuing this out.

OOOOOHHHHH, the plug ins themselves.

No, there's no way of changing the order.

That's why I don't choose plug ins from my MCU, I don't feel(like you)swimming through hundreds of plugins before I get to the one I want.

As a thought,and I'm just thinking(typing) out loud - I guess you could only choose a handful of plugins to work with, then put all the others in a folder to "hide" them from Logic. But they still wouldn't be in any specifoc order.

Man that stinks... This would be so helpful. What i still cant figure out is where it gets it order from. It has no similarity to the way it is laid out or ordered from the channel strip in the mixer window. You do have somewhat of a good idea with just literally disabling plugins as a filter. Well thanks for the help.

Controllers are limited by the information provided to them by Logic. I use a Nektar Panorama which can select instruments and plugins. I've found, like the OP, that the selection order is not in a logical (sorry) order. So sometimes I scroll and other times I just grab the pulldown with the mouse.

The problem exists in all DAWs, I think. I've seen it in Live and Cubase as well as Logic. It would be nice if the industry could come up with a standard controller interface protocol, even if it was just guaranteeing alphabetical order when selecting devices.

There are many ways it could be done. For instance, you could have a control surface pref that is "Plugin List Type" with options for Manufacturer, Custom Only, Type etc.

So eg with Manufacturer order on a MCU, you first turn of the plugin knob would scroll through the developers in alphanumeric order, you press the v-pot to go "into" that developer, keep turning for the plugins by that developer in alphanumeric order, etc, and when you finally click a name it loads the plugin.

I don't know why this was ignored for so long, other than people probably don't use control surfaces beyond the simple stuff, so there was no need to bother...

Could you imagine the DAW we could build with all the intel on these forums haha.. Anyways... One of you mentioned you've seen it act the same way on other DAW's which makes me think that the controller must have some sort of logic or protocol on how it selects plugins. I will keep researching and diving in. I certainly report anything I can come up with.

While we are on this topic, does anyone use markers with their control surface? With the Nucleus I can create markers real easy but I run out of scribble strip room after 5 markers. So i have to revert back to the mouse or an aux keypad to select any markers after 5. I have the whole other side (right side) of the control surface that could be used to display markers on the scribble strips but it doesn't. Anyone run into this issue?

No, the Mackie Control protocol has no logic, there is no processing in the controller at all, it's *all* handled by Logic. The controller just sends key/button/knob MIDI data to Logic, and Logic sends back feedback and the display data to the control surface.

I don't know anything about the Nucleus though...