Which Mac is the right one for me?

Dear community,

over the time I've been running into heavy performance issues with my old system. Now it is time to buy a new one. What I need is some suggestions for a new system.

The only thing I really need is thunderbold connection, except of that I'm open towards an iMac, Mac Pro or even a MacBook Pro.

To give you more details informations about my set up, here is a list of what I'm using:

-Logic Pro X.

-Up to 80 Tracks per project.

-Extensive Use of VST instruments and Plug In's such as U-HE, Soundtoys, T-Racks, brainworx, Fabfilter, GoodHertz, Waves etc.

-I'm using Plug In's for Processing quite a lot and have Multi Bus Routing in Logic.

-I run projects in 44,1 but i would raise the number if it was possible.

Right now I'm using an Allen&Heath ZedR16 Mixer as AD/DA card via FireWire but I am thinking of upgrading to an UA System in the long run.

My current System is --> Mac Book Pro (13", mid 2012), 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB ram + SSD // El Capitan 10.11.6

Unfortunately my CPU seems to cause the main troubles. The Question is now whether it makes sense to buy maybe even an old Mac Pro or buy something more future proof.

My budget reaches up to 2000€ but I would like to spend less if possible.

Hope for your help!

cheers, Samson

Right now I'm having 16 Inputs with the Allen&Heath ZedR16 which is more than enough for me. With Universal Audio, 8 Inpus would also totally do the job,

but that is future music! I just wanted to point out that it would be safer for me to have a thunderbold connection on my future device, just in case.

Right now I'm mainly looking for the System which is serving me the power i need for all the processing.

To be honest, I would prefer to stay with a portable solution, even though I would change to a desktop soltution if it would serve me a much stronger system for same money..

thanks!

You could go in steps if you go portable.

Your current laptop is a dual-core. Not too powerful.

Just switching to a non-retinal 15-inch from 2012 with an 2.3 or 2.6 i7 quad-core will make a huge difference.

You can find them used for 500-600 and you don't need to change anything hardware wise.

You can check the geekbench scores at:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/