Arpeggiator, playing randomly selected synths?

funkfly

Hi -

I'd like to have an arpeggiator (or a midi object, doesn't really matter) playing, but rather than have that arpeggiator playing only one channel of a selected synth, connecting it to a number of synths, and have the midi notes that are being fired from the arp, to go randomly into the selected synths, in a monophonic way, i.e, each synth playing a single note at given time.

I'm sure there's a way to do it, either via the environment or perhaps using the script editor, but haven't figured it out myself...

Any ideas please?

Hi -

I'd like to have an arpeggiator (or a midi object, doesn't really matter) playing, but rather than have that arpeggiator playing only one channel of a selected synth, connecting it to a number of synths, and have the midi notes that are being fired from the arp, to go randomly into the selected synths, in a monophonic way, i.e, each synth playing a single note at given time.

I'm sure there's a way to do it, either via the environment or perhaps using the script editor, but haven't figured it out myself...

Any ideas please?

You could achieve rather easily using my Mono2Poly script

... and it's free! 8-)

Hi -

Any ideas please?

If this is what you're looking for, get the script here.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=12555045&postcount=1

You could achieve rather easily using my Mono2Poly script

... and it's free! 8-)

Thank you Atlas, downloaded your script, and trying to understand how to work with it.

I've created 4 new instrument tracks, each with a different sound/synth.

On each instrument I inserted the mono2poly, and changed the note rank incrementally on each instrument, from note rank 1 to 4.

I grouped all instruments in a summing tracks, and armed that summing track to play all the instruments.

At this stage, only instruments 1 and 2 played, in what sounded like unison.

I then duplicating the same Arp on all tracks, but still didn't get the result I'm after - clearly I'm not understanding something...

What I'm trying to achieve, is that if for instance I have a part that goes C-D-E-F-C-E-G, each note will play from a different instrument, monophonically, either in a random order, or perhaps cycle through the instruments at some pre determined order.

This is probably due to the way the "script/system" was designed.

I did not put much time into that and intended to keep it as simple as possible.

In order to keep the tracks to play one after the other (or in a predictable order), you have to setup the Mono2Poly scripter in all the various tracks without playing them until you are done with all the tracks. AND then only play from the master track of the summing stack.

Otherwise, if you start to play one of the track directly you will change the counting relative order of the script from that track, which will mess up the overal playback order, possibly ending up having two track playing at unisson.

Anyhow, if you happen or need to reset the Mono2Poly, you would have to reset the script by clicking on the Run Scrip button (on the Script Editor window header)...

IOW, I'd recommend setting the Mono2Poly scripter as the very last step.

Also, instead of using the Arpegiator MIDI Fx, try using the Environment's Arpeggiator object. Which outputs are to be connected to each of the channelstrip's objects inputs. In such case, using a track stack could become rapidly confusing. Instead, connecting the Environment's keyboard object's output, directly to the Environment's Arpeggiator object's input, will give you a direct feedback of the current setup while you play your keys. The little drawback to that (besides its odd interface), is that the Environment's Arpeggiator object requires Logic to be in playback mode to actually work. But all in all it's a little price to pay for all the flexibility it offers...

Anyhow, I attached a project that could give you some insight of what I am talking about. For your convenience, I have connected a switch after the Arpeggiator object.

Arpeggiator playing randomly different synths.zip

Thank you very much for this!

I have found another way of doing this, which has its pros and cons.

I'm using Blue Cat Patchwork: I can insert it on one Logic Instrument slots, then, I load a few instruments on it, I assign each one with a different consecutive MIDI channel, and then load on the logic instrument a couple of midi fx - the Arp, and a scripter running ValliSoftware's channel number randomizer.

It works!

What you also can do is:

Step 1:

Create a new External Instrument track with the External instrument plugin.

Set the output to IAC Bus 1.

If you don't know how to set up IAC Busses on your system see: http://monoplugs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665

Step 2:

Open the Click & Ports window in the Environment in LPX > CMD+ 0.

Create a new Monitor Object by going to: New > Monitor.

Step 3:

Cable the Monitor to IAC Bus 1.

Step 4:

Alt + Click the little arrow on the right top-side of the Monitor Object and select your desired multiple tracks.

Step 5:

Insert an Arpeggiator or any effect you like in the Midi FX on the External Instrument track.

Step 6:

Play! You'll hear all the instruments you selected in the Monitor Object simultaneously.

To remember: The midi file is only created on the External Instrument track, not on the instruments you selected in the Monitor Object. You will have to copy the midi files to the instrument tracks if you want them there.