New Logic Multitrack Benchmark Test

TTOZ

ok, but... what are you getting? air? pro? mini? looking forward to your reports...

Pro 13" to replace my MacBook Pro 13" i5 in the beginning, and as a stopgap till M1X / M2 / M1+ whatever Mini's are released for the studio :)

nice! keep us posted on how it works with logic. i imagine we'll see newer macs by march...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since the current M1 Apples have SSD drives, it makes more sense now to freeze your tracks.

With this benchmark test, after freezing the 128 tracks my MacMini M1 barely breaks a sweat on the Performance Meter.

I mean, that is the End Game, to play as many tracks and as I mentioned about the SSD drives, freezing just makes more sense now.

The fan does come on when you push it hard - especially for a longer period of time, also almost always when you bounce stuff in logic, because it tasks it nearly to the max.

It's different than on intel macs tho.

i.e. on my i5, after the fan turned on it never turned off again.

With this thing, it turns off again after 15s of not having heavy load again.

Also, fan stays off even when on external screen and such.

i'd imagine i could easily work on the M1 Air judging by the performance of the 13" pro.

Yeah but do you think as an audio engineer the active cooling is worth spending the extra 250?

that's very-much the point; audio work, video work... requires a lot or processing, consistently. and active cooling beats processor-throttling in these situations. that's not to say that you won't be able to work on the air; people are doing that now.

the 2 macs are so similar (in weight, specs), but that one thing makes the pro desirable... for pros. (the better speakers and brighter screen don't hurt either).

Yeah but do you think as an audio engineer the active cooling is worth spending the extra 250?

Yes, definitely, especially if you're a pro and are using that machine to make money based on time spent, because that extra $250 will save you time. Processors can run faster when they can be kept cooler, so that little fan will mean more CPU speed of the Pro vs the Air.

Yes, definitely, especially if you're a pro and are using that machine to make money based on time spent, because that extra $250 will save you time. Processors can run faster when they can be kept cooler, so that little fan will mean more CPU speed of the Pro vs the Air.

I agree but if it's effectively running the same speed as the air during playback, disregarding the bounce, then I'd go for the air instead :D

I agree but if it's effectively running the same speed as the air during playback, disregarding the bounce, then I'd go for the air instead :D

there is processing going on as soon as you hit play, it's not (just) confined to the bounce (which, yes, taxes the cpu even more; it's that on-the-fly conversion). i am looking at them both (the air, the pro); but, because they're so similar in specs, weight, size... am personally leaning towards the pro. either seems a great investment.

It's not the same unfortunately - for extended work on really fat session fans do come on - and stay on (until you lighten the load) and whenever fans turn on is when Air would throttle. :)

It's different than on intel macs tho.

i.e. on my i5, after the fan turned on it never turned off again.

With this thing, it turns off again after 15s of not having heavy load again.

this is how my hack behaves. if I bounce out a project with a lot of tracks all cores will be going at 5 GHz and the fans will start to kick in while it's bouncing. a few seconds after it's done the processor will have cooled and the fans go silent again

It's not the same unfortunately - for extended work on really fat session fans do come on - and stay on (until you lighten the load) and whenever fans turn on is when Air would throttle. :)

I just wonder how much the performance difference is because all these YouTubers are not testing the devices properly, which makes me want to open up an own channel and test it.

My colleague at work got an Air through me and I'll receive my Pro in a few days. I'm allowed to return CTOs right?

I'm curious how the benchmark performs with native third party plugins such as Fabfilter and Valhalla so I'll set up a test for that and compare it on a 30 Minute loop between the Air and Pro and also my 9900KS running PT in Windows with the same tracks and plugin inserts.

The M1 is perfect for me, very portable, huge battery life and natively as fast as an 8 core MacBook Pro with Intel.

Just wanna see whether the Pro is really worth the extra money.

I just wonder how much the performance difference is because all these YouTubers are not testing the devices properly, which makes me want to open up an own channel and test it.

My colleague at work got an Air through me and I'll receive my Pro in a few days. I'm allowed to return CTOs right?

I'm curious how the benchmark performs with native third party plugins such as Fabfilter and Valhalla so I'll set up a test for that and compare it on a 30 Minute loop between the Air and Pro and also my 9900KS running PT in Windows with the same tracks and plugin inserts.

The M1 is perfect for me, very portable, huge battery life and natively as fast as an 8 core MacBook Pro with Intel.

Just wanna see whether the Pro is really worth the extra money.

Do you record with a microphone in the same room as the computer? Go for the Air!!! Peace of mind.

I can’t believe there is no fan in my Air with this performance.

If you are an EDM etc composer, mostly soft synths, go for that little extra power that fan gives you.

It's not the same speed during playback though. a processor that can run faster means you can playback a more complex project with more instrument and effect plug-ins than one that runs slower. So yes, for a mixing engineer, that makes a big difference, not only in bounce speed, but basically in CPU power (speed is power).

Do you record with a microphone in the same room as the computer? Go for the Air!!! Peace of mind.

If you are an EDM etc composer, mostly soft synths, go for that little extra power that fan gives you.

no, i have dedicated live room. :)

Also i'd have no issue recording with the Pro 13" either - the never turned on during tracking session, even when multitracking drums at 64samples/buffer with plugins.

no, i have dedicated live room. :)

Also i'd have no issue recording with the Pro 13" either - the never turned on during tracking session, even when multitracking drums at 64samples/buffer with plugins.

I've put a session together with third party native M1 plugins of Fabfilter and Valhalla with 128 tracks and 8 fx busses:

Every track contains Fabfilter's Comp, EQ and De-Esser; additionally you can activate bypassed Gate, MB, Saturn and Valhalla Vintage Verb but I mainly kept it to Comp, EQ and De-Esser, which is traditional.

Each channel sends to 8 FX busses with Valhalla VV, Fabfilter Reverb and some logic stock ones.

On the mixbus is Saturn, Comp, MB and Pro L2.

Would you try it out and see how many tracks you can run? I wanna compare it with my 9900KS in Pro Tools.

Here's the Logic Session:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jyqprYyMZiIVRQWnONhB7hcBl3oUVazk/view?usp=sharing

You can get Demos from:

https://valhalladsp.com/

https://www.fabfilter.com/

Anybody else here is invited as well :)

God damn it, a third party comparison would be better without logic stock plugins xD

Could somebody download it, remove the send 5 to 8 from all the 138 tracks (usually by marking them all from the first to the last with shift) and also remove FX busses 5 to 8 and just keep FX busses and sends 1-4 and re-up it? I can't do it on a mac anymore currently.

What's the point of bypassed plugins?

+1 track on both systems.

reup with your instructions, expires in a week: https://we.tl/t-IbZrirVO7a

Considering a fairly conservative 12% track boost either Fab or Valhalla is not yet optimised well - some plugins are significantly better on Native, some aren't.

Well I just made the basic assumption of the classic 3: Comp, EQ and De-esser and the other stuff is optional.

35 tracks isn't too bad either since Fabfilter plugins do consume some processing power.

12% I'd agree is rather conservative but yet not too far away from the performance difference of 20% in Geekbench between 7400 natively and 5888 through Rosetta 2.

Lemme see how well my 9900KS does in Pro Tools Ultimate on Windows :)