RME Babyface Pro or Apollo Twin Mk II (duo - quad?)

T0nt0

I am trying to figure out which interface to buy and have arrived at these two options. I want a quality product that will last me a long time (5 years?).

A few thoughts;

Both have generally great reviews

RME BFP model is several years old. It would be annoying if a new version turns up just after I buy one - always an issue when buying gear.

Apollo gets comments about running very hot which is a bit of concern.

Appreciate any views from existing users

thanks

I vote for RME tho.

I have Fireface 400 that's probably 10 years old, hasn't failed me once.

Will replace it with UFX+.

UAD Apollos are supposed to be really good, but in my opinion nothing beats stability and tech support of RME.

I think the deal-breaker here is whether you need/want UAD DSP or not. If not, RME is i believe a better choice.

Ploki - thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. I am puzzled by the UAD-DSP approach. Is additional DSP needed with latest iMacs ? The read that UAD DSP chips are a bit dated. It hard enough running Logic without and overlay of another software package to figure out. I will only be doing relaitvely small home projects.

I assume you're not currently using UAD plugins, so I don't really see the point in owning one of their interfaces if that's the case. They're make perfectly fine interfaces, but they're really meant as complimentary pieces to their plugins. So, if you're not using UAD plugins or don't want to get into that ecosystem, the RME is a non-brainer between the two.

That said, I'd also recommend looking into the new Apogee Element series as well. I'm not sure what your needs are, but Apogee is a great pair with Logic/Macs, has excellent converters, and, if you go with an Element 24, is probably more affordable than either the RME or UAD. Just food for thought.

I would go for the Universal Audio interface, through personal experience.

I bought an Apollo Thunderbolt Twin Duo, amazing, I later bought an Apollo 8 and I use them linked, the Twin sits on my desk and I use it as the main controller.

Fantastic Universal Audio Forum too, where people from UA actually answer you.

Top quality stuff, great pres and convertors, easy to use too.

RME is fine also of course, hi end.

Ploki - thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. I am puzzled by the UAD-DSP approach. Is additional DSP needed with latest iMacs ? The read that UAD DSP chips are a bit dated. It hard enough running Logic without and overlay of another software package to figure out. I will only be doing relaitvely small home projects.

The whole point of the DSP in the Apollos is that you have quality plugins that don't tax your computer at the moment where today's computers still struggle: while recording and monitoring or recording with plugins. With an Apollo you can keep your buffer to 512 at all times because when you need power, its DSP chips will be used for near-zero latency. You can get very low latency with native plugins and a strong computer but it will work real hard to keep up.

In the recent years I went from Babyface to Apollo Twin to Apogee and heard an upgrade in sound quality everytime I "upgraded". And I only have a "low life" Apogee One!! Will probably go to the Element series soon. I'm waiting for their FX racks thing that's supposed to come in October. The integration with Logic will be great if it does what they advertise. Everything will be done inside Logic. You put the plugins in Logic's mixer, when you engage the record button the DSP(FPGA actually) of the Element will kick in and when you stop recording and play back the track, it's the computer's CPU that will take care of processing the Apogee plugins. Brilliant idea. No need to go from Logic to UAD Console back and forth… Everything is done inside Logic.

The Unison technology in UA product is great but there's something "musical" to Apogee's preamps and converters to my ears. But that's just me…

Blink

Babyface to Apollo to Apogee One -- and you heard "upgrades in sound"?

Call me crazy, but what you heard was probably just your brains confirmation biases, most of all choice-confirmation bias kicking in.

edit:

I always wonder, how much did you guys who hear converters so clearly invested in room acoustics and speakers?

edit2: fwiw, i think both apogee and rme use CS (or in some cases AKM) converters, dont know about apollo. I think only Symphony and Ensemble use Sabre chips.

power supply and analog path of course matter.

In the case of respectable brands, feature set and priorities are more important than "sound", they all sound good.

Another vote for RME. I looked into the Apollo setup before I bought my FF802, and concluded that it was a blackhole for my bank acc't. Their plugins are not cheap, and I already have what I need and want as far as that's concerned, so I didn't see the need to replicate those capabilities within an environment that would be redundant to my needs.

Thank you for all the replies.

This is more complicated than I first thought. I need to do more home work.

RME oR UNIVERSAL AUDIO oR APoGEE , anyone of these will be fine I am sure, they are quality interfaces.

I must say though, the Apollo console software is magical, as are the UA plug ins.

I have had a look at Apogee 'Element' interfaces. I find the neat integration with Logic very appealing. Recording and monitoring plugins are being launched in October. Apparently all the 'Element' devices have DSP chips in them for the new plug-ins ...?

It would be great to hear '2 cents' from some 'Element' users.