Midi Recording Early

Evermore

Hi, I've searched this forum for a fix for the midi-recording-early problem and I haven't found an answer. I'm having no luck figuring it out after researching all evening about this. In fact I've had this problem for years but haven't been able to focus on music so I've let it go. I'm getting back into it thankfully and I'd like to figure this sync problem out. Is this happening for anyone else? I'm not sure how to express what's happening on a technical level so I thought I'd start with the generally phrased question.

Yes this is a bug. Apple actually contacted me about this in June via email to ask for info after I submitted a bug report, but after I sent them all the info I could, I never heard another word, so I have no idea if they if they are working on it.

The main problem is the use of latency-inducing plugins on AUX or OUTPUT channels. LPX handles latency on those types of channels by delaying all other channels to match. Unfortunately, LPX does not correctly auto-delay external midi tracks when there is PDC on AUX or OUTPUT channels. It also does not correctly delay the metronome if midi is being used for the metronome rather then an audio click.

The External Instrument, however does correctly handle PDC.

So one work around is to not use external midi tracks, always use instruments tracks with the external instrument plugin.

don't use the metronome over midi.

Another work around is to disable latent plugins on AUX or OUTPUT channels while recording the midi.

HI Thanks! I'm not using external midi, nor am I recording audio from external synths of anything like that. I'm just plugging my novation keyboard straight into the Mac Pro usb and playing midi notes. If I play along with the metronome all my notes are ahead of the beat consistently.

Just to be clear, I had my midi recording early, which would seem to be against the laws of physics. It's due to the latency issue, and only happens with external instruments. You're actually playing it at the right time, but then Logic seems to grab what you played and move it ahead upon playback, even when it doesn't need to. One of the things you can do is in the audio preferences turn off latency compensation for "All" and make it "audio and software instrument tracks." I've found that if you introduce a bus or aux anywhere in your song, the latency gets messed up. It is a real problem and needs to be addressed. We did inform Apple earlier this year, but you might try filing an additional bug report with them, as the more reports they get, the more they might pay attention.

I know how frustrating this is, and believe me, I'm not trying to be funny, but is there any chance the "beat" you're referring to could somehow be incorrect? When you manually insert notes via the piano roll, etc., do they play correctly with the beat? Is your recording showing up early on the grid of the tracks window or just early upon playback?

I just did a loopback test with the ping function in the utility I/O plugin and it says I only have a latency offset of +ONE sample. Both my audio and midi are recording ahead of the beat and nothing I can find to do fixes it.

Both audio and midi are recording early? Ok...something is strange... Can you describe exactly the test you are performing to determine they are both recording early?

Simply looking at the grid is all I’m doing to determine that the timing is early. I play along with a click or beat that is on time. looking at the grid in the arrange window or piano roll or audio edit window it’s easy to see all notes are placed before the beat lines in the grid.

It’s a fast system, I can play guitar or sing through the software without noticeable latency. That part is wonderful. I’ve been doing this since the early 90’s and it great to finally technology fast enough to play through with no latency. What can I be missing? Theoretically it seems more possible to have notes or audio which record late after the beat due to processing time.

When you hit play does the sound of the click seem to be spot on compared to the visual clock?

When you record, LPX by design attempts to calculate where to place audio and midi on the timeline based on what it thinks you heard. It takes into account soundcard latency going in and out.

Most midi interfaces these days also have timestamping in the midi interface that should ensure with the above that midi events are registered on the track lining up with what you were hearing when you recorded it.

What sound card are you using? And does the click sound off in sync with the visual clock?